Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has approximately 1,500 staff based in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
providing oversight of Action Against Hunger Uganda programming interventions, ensuring that the necessary staff and systems are in place to develop and implement high-quality programs.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- Provide management oversight for ongoing programs.
- Ensure program quality through implementation of project review systems, comprehensive M&E systems and staff/partner development.
- Assist program staff to use appropriate project management tools to plan, review and track progress on project implementation as well as on the utilization of project resources.
- Support program staff in the planning of project activities and the establishment of high quality performance targets, ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices and donor guidelines. Ensure staff follow Action Against Hunger project management guidelines, based on sound project management models i.e., PMD Pro and ProPack.
- Work with program staff to ensure that all programming documents (Annual Program Plans, project proposals/reports, etc.) are of the highest quality.
- Collaborate with head of finance to ensure project managers are trained on budgeting and finance tools and systems to increase their capacity to adequately track project expenses.
- Monitor project burn rates closely with the project managers to ensure that spending in the projects are consistent with the budgets and are on time.
- Maintain a schedule for reporting of all publicly and privately funded projects. Review and submit required reports including donor and private fund narrative reports, quarterly performance indicator tracking tables, baseline and evaluation reports, as well as others needed/required by the local government, donors, the region or headquarters.
- Actively participate as a member of the senior management team and contribute to strategic planning and key decisions of the country program.
- Oversee regular programming and coordination meetings between the programming and operations departments.
- Supervise staff in the program unit to ensure efficient and quality implementation of project activities, on time and on budget, to deliver results, including the MEAL coordinator, field coordinators and program managers.
- Work closely with the grant acquisition and quality assurance coordinator (GAQA) and field coordinators to identify program priorities and actively develop a plan for program growth in active engagement with partners, regional/HQ technical advisors, and the business development team.
DOES THIS DESCRIPTION FIT YOU?
You’re an experienced humanitarian professional
- You have a Master’s degree in social sciences, community development, Project Management, Public Health, Economics or related field is highly desirable.
- You have professional qualifications in project management.
- You have at least 7 years of leadership experience in a both emergency and development contexts, preferably with solid experience in more than one of the ACF priority sectors: food security, health and nutrition, WASH and emergencies.
- You have extensive experience in leading/supervising program MEAL processes.
- You have demonstrated strong ability with project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc
- You have experience with institutional strengthening and partnership building
- You are able to work independently, but also coordinate effectively as part of a team.
- You have excellent written and spoken communication skills in English.
- You have excellent supervisory skills, strong analytical and organizational skills.
- You are able to apply and enforce Action Against Hunger principles and humanitarian values in the field.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core values
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity- we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity- we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
- Promote and uphold the PSEA policy and procedures.