Assistant Manager, Legal Employment Opportunity – Britam
Job Title: Assistant Manager, Legal
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Britam is a leading diversified financial services group, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. The group has interests across the East African region and offers a wide range of financial products and services in Insurance, Asset Management, Banking and Property. The product range includes life, health and general insurance, pensions, unit trusts, investment planning, wealth management, off-shore investments, retirement planning, discretionary portfolio management, property development and private equity.
Job Summary: The Assistant Manager, Legal works with the Country Management Team and the Group Legal Management team in the provision of legal advisory services, organizational compliance with the Industry Regulator Guidelines and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks for Britam.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure there are appropriate structures, process and documentation in place in relation to Britam Group’s Governance practices.
- Ensure compliance with Group corporate governance requirements and co-ordinate the annual legal, compliance and governance audits.
- Keep abreast with the relevant changes in governance best practice.
- Maintain a corporate calendar for all governance related activities and committees
- Manage and coordinate in liaison with Group Legal Office all Board and Board Committee related matters.
- Advise the business on all matters requiring legal interpretation to enable effective management of legal risks
- Review newly instituted matters/ regulations and advise management;
- Managing all Claims related legal matters in liaison with the Claims Department and engaging with IRA and the external lawyers and liaising with Claims Department to manage third party recoveries.
- Research and interpret regulatory requirements of new Insurance products and/or services
- Provide assistance to the operational areas with day-to-day regulatory Insurance and Fund Manager Compliance issues with the relevant Authorities including the IRA, RBA and CMA.
- Providing Legal Advisory and necessary assistance in respect to Product Development and Review in liaison with the Legal Department.
- Reviewing progress of outstanding litigation and liaising with and managing external lawyers in line with the SLAs.
- Regularly review the company’s legal panel and advice management of any changes required in line with the SLAs.
- Monitor court attendance by the company’s appointed advocates on the company’s legal matters
- Prepare half yearly Legal reserves reports for all legal claims matters.
- Manage the entire litigation process with diligence, professionally and ensure timely closure of matters.
- Liaising with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
Compliance and Contract Management:
- Ensure oversight of and compliance with all regulatory matters
- Reviewing and/or drafting contracts or any other documentation to support business activities and assessing legal implications that need to be brought to the senior management’s attention
- Conduct legal research and investigation, develop oral and written advice and present recommendations to management.
- Maintaining the legal documentation of the company and ensure various schedules, contracts, agreements are in safe custody and are up to date.
- Review and update Legal Processes and Procedures
- Manage the external Advocates on the Britam Panel of Advocates through pro-active interaction and correspondence.
- Review Advocates Legal Costs to ensure that the same are within the Advocates (Remuneration & Taxation of Costs) Rules, 2000, as well as attempt other cost savings
- Prepare appropriate reports as per requirements and these include Monthly Legal Reports, Monthly Legislative Reports and Quarterly Legal Risk reports.
- Adhere to the provisions of the Legal Manual
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Britam Assistant Manager, Legal job opportunity must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Master’s degree in Law (added advantage)
- Diploma in Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Uganda
- Possess a valid practising licence
- Stakeholder engagement
- Contract Management
- 2-4 Years Company Secretarial experience
- At least four 4- 6 years’ experience in Law in a busy law firm or in the Insurance/Financial services industry.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.