Safety Health and Environment Manager Employment Opportunity – ABSA Bank
Job Title: Safety Health and Environment Manager
Organization: Absa Group Limited (formerly Barclays Bank UK)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Absa Group Limited (formerly Barclays Bank UK) is a diversified standalone African financial services group, delivering an integrated set of products and services across personal and business banking, corporate and investment banking, wealth, investment management and insurance. Absa Group Limited is listed on the JSE and is one of Africa’s largest diversified financial services groups with a presence in 12 countries across the continent and around 41 000 employees.
We own majority stakes in banks in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, the Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania (Barclays Bank in Tanzania and National Bank of Commerce), Uganda and Zambia. We also have representative offices in Namibia and Nigeria, as well as insurance operations in Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia.
Job Summary: The Safety Health and Environment Manager will ensure that all ABSA employees comply with the Absa Occupational Health and Safety (H&S) minimum standards and the country specific Act and associated regulations by putting up systems in place as a guidance to all. The Safety Manager has the responsibility to create and update the Safety Manual and to ensure that all Departments operate to the procedures and instructions contained therein. The incumbent will ensure Health and Safety of all employees, customers and contractors at the Bank premises.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Safety Health & Environment (SHE) – 70%
- Ensure annual review of the SHE policy and standards to align with the regulatory and legal requirements
- Implement the Absa SHE policy and standards
- Be familiar with all aspects of Absa group Health, Safety and Environmental policy, standard and procedures.
- Meet statutory requirements at all times
- Ensure that fire marshals, SHE representatives and first aiders are appointed and vacant roles filled as they arise
- Ensure that fire marshals, SHE representatives and first aiders undertake refresher courses
- Hold regular calls with SHE coordinators/officers and staff to sensitize them about importance of the SHE policy
- Ensure that all issues that pose a threat to the employees and customers are escalated and forwarded to the respective departments for action as soon as possible
- Follow up any incidents and forward these to applicable authorities/stakeholders
- Work closely with other functions to ensure all SHE requirements/demands are met or actioned without fail
- Maintain a directory of SHE champions, First Aid champions, and Fire Marshals and update where transfers, new appointments have taken place
- Work closely with the Head of CRES and other team leaders within the department to resolve issues that related to health and safety.
- Liaise with key change programmes to understand impacts and requirements on SHE issues and make appropriate recommendations
- Champion and ensure effective implementation of on-going and new Absa Africa initiatives relevant to SHE
- Develop proposals for change for agreement by local business executives with respect to SHE issues
- In charge of implementing Covid19 protocols as approved by CMC
- Organise SHE committee meetings and ensure updated ToR’s
- Ensure all DWB’s are escalated to the RCF
Stakeholder Engagement – 10%
- Hold regular meetings and workshops with SHE coordinators/officers and staff to sensitize them about importance of the SHE Policy
- Hold regular meetings and reviews with stakeholders to ensure customer satisfaction
- Undertake regular visits to branches and sites and provide feedback to its management on the state of their SHE maintenance
- Provide expert SHE advice and guidance on to all business areas
- Provide best practice advice to the business for the day to day management of their SHE issues
- Agree targets and take accountability for the overall achievement of the department for the customer experience based on internal satisfaction surveys
- Drive change initiatives and re-negotiate stretching SLAs with relevant parties where required
- Maintain excellent liaison with suppliers and internal customers
- Agree the functional balanced scorecard with the Head of CRES for own area
- Maintain MI to assist the department in tracking its performance
- Contribute to the annual and long-term planning and strategy sessions for Operations in the country based on analysis of past performance and best practice in the market
- Prepare annual SHE budgets
- Work with the facilities management team to sort out some facilities issues at Absa buildings.
Customer Service – 10%
- Provide close support for individual business areas/projects with specific requirements, assisting business to understand its full requirements, sourcing options proposals from market place, analysis and cost analysis.
- Work closely with business areas to ensure that implementation projects are incepted and delivered. Accountable for delivery of property benefit.
- Institute and analyse a quarterly internal customer perception survey.
- Agree targets and take accountability for the overall achievement of the department for the customer experience based on the internal service survey.
- Drive change initiatives and re-negotiate stretching Service Level Agreements (“SLAs) with suppliers to ensure the internal customer service bar is continuously raised.
- Benchmark services provided against the industry and create improvement action plans.
- Maintain excellent liaison with other suppliers and internal customers
- Receive and resolve issues escalated via team. Management of escalated complaints about department that have not been satisfactorily resolved locally.
Portfolio/Supplier Management – 10%
- Manage the outsourced supply chain, ensuring appropriate level of Supplier Relationship Management (“SRM”). These include Cleaning, Fumigation, Water, Fire, Ambulance and Catering
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the ABSA Group Safety Health and Environment Manager job should hold relevant qualifications
- Higher Diplomas: Manufacturing, Engineering and Technology (Required)
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join ABSA Group in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 8th May 2021