Job Title: Program Assistant – Apolou
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Facilitation Officer
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
About USAID Project:
The $41 million USAID Food for Peace Activity (Apolou) and the $5 million USAID Resilience Challenge Fund (RCF) Activity support agriculturalists, agro-pastoralists, and pastoralist households living across the districts of Amudat, Kotido, Kaabong, Karenga, and Moroto in Karamoja. Apolou is implemented by a consortium of actors led by Mercy Corps, including Save the Children, Whave Solutions, four local partners (KAPDA, AIDI, NARWOA and Riam Riam), TUNADO, FIDA Uganda, Strong Minds and Tufts University’s Feinstein International Centre (FIC).
Job Summary: The primary focus of the Program Assistant will be to respond to the needs of communities through the integrated set of activities under Apolou. The Program Assistant will focus on mobilizing the different groups / platforms within their community, and determine the capacity building needs of the group leaders. The Program Assistant will also mobilize the surrounding government and private sector systemic structures and similarly identify capacity building needs of these structures. The Program Assistant will adopt an “adaptive” management approach to understand the needs of the groups within the community and the external support structures, and working with the District Implementation Team, connect with the Technical Team to determine appropriate capacity building measures to sustainably strengthen the capacity and commitment of community leaders and extension agents. The Program Assistant will work closely with the Technical Team to best determine layering of activities within a community, based on need and availability of resources. This will provide an opportunity for staff growth in various technical areas but also benefit the participants in that they receive a cross sector of interventions/services delivered at the same time through community dialogues. The role of Program Assistant will be to identify community needs for capacity building, seek for technical support through Program Officer and the Technical Team, to train, oversee, support and work with other Governance structures both formal (VHTs, WUCs, ALCs etc.) and informal (Traditional Authorities i.e. elders, kraal leaders etc.) in community engagement meetings/dialogue processes. The Program Assistant will collaborate with the wider Implementation team to ensure that activities are sequenced, layered and integrated for comprehensive service delivery. The Program Assistant will closely work with staff from local partners in the APOLOU Activity to strengthen integration. The Program Assistant will be supported by the Program Officer and District HoO, the broader implementation team, and the Technical Team. Program Assistants will work closely with MEL teams to ensure that data capture into CommCare takes place.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sensitize community leadership on different Apolou thematic areas i.e. Governance, MCHN, WASH, Gender, SBCC, Adolescents and Livelihoods.
- Conduct participant identification exercises for the different activities in the community.
- Mobilize participants for planned activities in respective locations for technical teams to work with.
- Organize and supervise community trainings in line with the approved work plan and budget based on Multi Sectoral approach.
- Lead and/or support community respective community members to lead community dialogues based of the different technical areas.
- Coordinate with all sectors in Apolou to ensure complementary approaches, monitor implementation of project activities and document learnings and success stories.
- Collaborate with fellow facilitation Assistants to ensure team success, including but not limited to logistics coordination, temporary support during leave, etc., as advised by facilitation Officers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Responsible for data gathering, data validation, quality control and timely data submission including gender and age disaggregated data.
- Support and mentor community structures i.e.VHTs and PDCs on data collection and use.
- Troubleshoot monitoring and evaluation challenges for proactive problem solving with support of team leader and M&E team.
- Utilize qualitative and quantitative data to inform program implementation.
- Actively documenting best practices and lessons learned to share with team during routine monitoring, coordination meetings and other learning opportunities.
- Regularly update Activity Tracker.
Influence and Representation
- Promote Apolou Activity visibility at both Community and Sub County level.
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of relationships with communities, village councils and local government in Apolou target areas.
- Coordination of field activities with other NGO and local government partners to avoid duplication of services and support an enabling environment for health promotion.
- When needed, support visits from district and sub-county government, regional and HQ based staff and external visitors, such as donors and media, in collaboration with facilitation officers, District HoO on Manager and Director.
- Support Apolou activities with key stakeholders, ensuring collaboration with counterparts in partner organization in relevant meetings, internal and external.
- Establish partnerships to leverage resources.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Program Assistant – Apolou job opportunity should hold an advanced Training Certificate or Diploma
- 1-2 years’ experience in conducting community mobilization, training, and networking
- Experience in capacity building with communities in Karamoja
- Experience and skills in working with other NGOs, government partners, and local community-based organizations.
- Fluency in local languages prevalent within the operational district where assigned (highly desired)
- Computer literacy
- The successful candidate will be energetic, able to work long hours outside of the office.
- The successful candidate will also have strong attention to detail, the ability to communicate well with community representatives and be committed to maintaining a compliant workplace, free of fraud and corruption.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join Mercy Corps in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 17th May 2021