Job Title: Senior Officer Solid Waste Management
Organization: Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth”, which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
Job Summary: The Senior Officer SWM will lead, the implementation of the SWM element of the above-mentioned KOICA funded Project titled “Strengthening Solid Waste and Fecal Sludge Management Capacity of the GKMA” with support and guidance from the Project Lead. The Senior Officer SWM will be working closely together with a team of 4 full time staff members, several firms, as well as internal (GGGI) and external part-time experts and consultants to ensure timely and high-quality delivery. The assignment will include policy related activities as well as site selection, feasibility studies and investment identification and structuring.
In addition, the Senior Officer SWM will lead the analysis of the waste sector to support the development of Long Term – Low Emissions Development Strategies. He will be working closely with other GGGI staff to develop and model the emissions baseline, business-as-usual (BAU) scenario, and low emission development scenarios (including emission projections and associated costs).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of the SWM element of the Project including interactions with Donor, Government, and GGGI both verbally and in writing when applicable.
- Contribute to the implementation of the other project elements where applicable
- Be the main contact point for the Government Partners for the SWM element of the project, ensure close cooperation, engagement and full ownership of the project activities with the partners in the drivers seat.
- Proven experience with Policy Development and Support
- Assess issues and opportunities for development, within the candidates responsible areas
- Support the development of spin-off opportunities of the Project, including potential additional resource mobilization to further accelerate Uganda’s shift to green urbanization and industrialization.
- Assess effectiveness of program activities and recommend improvements to meet key milestones for the program scoping and set-up
- Ensure synergy and alignment of the Project with the Government of Uganda’s strategies and directions.
- Proven experience on waste sector emissions modelling including BAU and low emissions development scenarios.
- Analyze barriers of implementation and finance of priority waste low emission interventions and estimate costs and investment requirements.
- Lead the day-to-day communication with the Ugandan Counterparts such as (but not limited too) the Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE), Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG), and the District and Municipal Governments where applicable and specifically for SWM.
- Coordinate with GGGI experts and other departments (communications, legal, HR, Procurement etc) to ensure high quality delivery and delivery within the rules and regulations of GGGI and the EU.
- Day-to-day management of one or more firms and international experts/consultants under supervision of the Project Lead.
- Lead the modelling and analysis of waste sector as part of the LT-LEDS.
- Identify project delivery issues and ensure effective coordination of project activities and resources to ensure attainment of objectives against established timeframes.
- Develop execution modality and documents for the assigned Outcome. Capture lessons learned to support refinement/improvement of the execution modality.
- Ensure successful completion of the project deliverables detailed in the Project Agreement and in the LT-LEDS work plan and Agreement.
- Safeguards, Poverty Reduction and Social Inclusion are key for this Project and need to be mainstreamed and/or applied in all deliveries and outputs.
- Ensure successful completion and delivery of the project deliverables detailed in the LT-LEDS work plan and Agreement.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- An advanced degree (Masters) relevant to green growth policies is a requirement; a specialization in Waste Management, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Industrial Ecology, or a comparable relevant field (additional relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a post graduate degree)
- Preferably 7-8 years of relevant experience in Uganda, with ideally international exposure and experience.
- The Candidate needs to demonstrate previous work in similar project (multi-year, multi sector, complex operations, etc) funded by international donors.
- Exceptional skills in building productive working relationships with colleagues, field offices, stakeholders, donors and other partners
- Strategic thinker and solutions-oriented manager with good ability to multitask and work in a matrix environment
- Good knowledge in monitoring and evaluation systems within a performance-based management context.
- Experience working on waste-related emissions accounting, analysis, and scenario development in Uganda or other African countries.
- Excellent analytical skills, critical thinking ability, and data gathering skills.
- Strong command of utilizing Microsoft Excel (including the ability to generate scenarios and graphics).
- Proven strong Network within Uganda within the SWM sector/space, proven experience with working with Ugandan Government Entities especially with the ones involved in this Project (as mentioned above)
- Good understanding of the local context and the relevant policy environment
- Detail-oriented striving for quality and consistency in all outputs and communications.
- Output-oriented, demonstrating creativity, innovation and an entrepreneurial drive.
- Highly organized and able to effectively and efficiently multi-task and prioritize.
- Comfortable working both in a team and independently.
- Excellent organizational and management understanding and demonstrated experience with successful mainstreaming of safeguards, gender, poverty reduction and social inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing projects that are supported and/or executed by both international and local consultants.
- Understanding of green (climate) financing is an advantage
- Experience in mobilization of resources from financial institutions and development partners is a benefit.
- Experience in policy formulation, capacity building and multi-stakeholder engagement within the technical areas
- Working experience with NDCs or National Communication in the waste sector would be an asset.
How to Apply:
All candidates should upload their applications online at the link below.