Job Title: Senior Community Based Protection Associate (4 Job Placements)
Organization: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
Vacancy Notice: Internal/ External vacancy notice 004/Temp/2021
Position Number: T/004/02/21
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Community-Based Protection Associate is a member of the Protection Unit and may report to the Protection Officer, Community-Based Protection Officer, or another more senior staff member in the Protection Unit. Under the overall direction of the Protection Unit, and in coordination with other UNHCR staff, government, NGO partners and other stakeholders, the Senior Community-Based Protection Associate works directly with communities of concern to identify the risks they face and to leverage their capacities to protect themselves, their families and communities. The incumbent may have direct supervisory responsibility for part of the protection and/or support staff and supports the application of community-based protection standards, operational procedures and practices in community-based protection delivery at the field level. To fulfil this role, the Senior Community-Based Protection Associate is required to spend a substantial percentage of the workday outside the office, building and maintaining networks within communities of persons of concern (PoC). The development and maintenance of constructive relationships with PoC that measurably impact and enhance protection planning, programming and results, form the core of the work of the incumbent. S/he also supports the designing of a community-based protection strategy by ensuring that it is based on consultation with PoC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as focal point for the Regional Peace-building Programme for South Sudanese Refugee Youth and coordinate programme activities at Sub-Office level
- Conduct and/or contribute to ongoing situation analysis, including identifying and analyzing historical, political, ethnic, cultural, traditional, religious, and other fault lines and social, economic and other factors that may impact on peacebuilding
- Contribute to incident mapping and reporting
- Contribute to anchoring of the Programme within the Office strategy, ensuring complementarity with community-based protection approaches and youth programming
- Ensure coordination of the Programme with other activities for youth at field level, and identify synergies and potential partnerships with other actors on the ground
- Serve as an advocate for the Programme, both internally within UNHCR and externally
- Contribute to ongoing learning and adaptation of the programme model and facilitate assessment and evaluation work for the Programme; Contribute to regional Community of Practice and regular exchange across implementation locations.
- Develop a protocol for selection of Peacebuilding Training of Trainers (ToT) candidates, Mentor Trainers and youth cohort in line with AGD framework to ensure inclusiveness.
- Lead and support the selection process of local Mentor Trainers
- Coordinate the training and mentorship process of the Mentor Trainers in collaboration with the supervisor and/or partner and trainer consultant
- Guide and monitor the Mentor Trainers in testing and contextualizing the peacebuilding curriculum for youth peacebuilders to ensure training content is appropriate to the situation of the youth in respective location
- Support and document training and mentorship of youth peacebuilders in peacebuilding and conflict mediation
- Monitor, guide and/or conduct youth -led conflict risk analysis, and design and implementation of youth-led peacebuilding projects contributing to social cohesion and peaceful coexistence within their communities.
- Promote and advocate for establishment of youth network of peacebuilders at settlement level that links to national and regional youth forum for peace in line with the regional peacebuilding framework.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold relevant qualifications and experience
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Managing Performance
- Stakeholder Management
- Planning and Organizing
- Political Awareness
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 16th June 2021
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com