Job Title: Assistant Education Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
UNHCR is committed to the effective protection to children of concern, with children representing more than half of the persons falling under its mandate. UNHCR adopts a rights and community-based approach to address the protection needs of children, with a strong emphasis on inclusion within national child protection, child friendly procedures and working with other sectors to protect children including education. Child protection is recognized as global organizational priority for UNHCR. Dedicated child protection positions are needed to provide technical support to improve UNHCR’s operational capacity to deliver effective protection to children, adolescents and youth of concern.
Job Summary: The Assistant Education Officer will support the roll-out of Refugee Education 2030, the UNHCR Refugee Education Strategy, in line with the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR), which calls on States and relevant Stakeholders to contribute resources and expertise, to expand and enhance the quality and inclusiveness of national education systems, to facilitate access by refugee and host community children and youth to primary, secondary and tertiary education. Providing inclusive and equitable quality education is central to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and the Assistant Education Officer will ensure UNHCR’s programming is in line with the SDGs, in particular SDG 4.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Translate global education objectives and strategic directions into regional or national guidance, strategies and priorities, in collaboration with the supervisor and the Education Section in HQ, to ensure coherence with UNHCR’s education policy and strategy.
- Engage, promote and foster partnerships/collaboration with national education stakeholders and bodies in line with GCR.
- Provide technical advice and support on all issues related to UNHCR education programmes and strategic directions, in line with UNHCR education policy and regional priorities, including through remote support and field missions.
- Support and provide technical advice to senior management and Policy and Development staff allowing for advocacy activities with States and international organisations on all issues related to UNHCR education programmes and strategic directions, including supporting national planning processes, such as the development of SDG4 plans at national levels and ensuring inclusion of refugee, returnee, asylum seeking, internally displaced and stateless children and youth in SDG4 plans and Education Sector Analyses and Plans.
- Participate in national humanitarian and development sector working groups to support that all refugee education support programming at country level is extended, amplified and reported against sector development goals and humanitarian partners and funding serves system strengthening.
- Assist the Country Office(s) to elaborate and implement strategies to address issues related to education access, quality and data, in cooperation with other UN agencies (UNICEF, UNESCO, WFP, etc.) and other key education stakeholders.
- Undertake direct dialogue at the national level on the implementation of education programmes in line with strategic directions, integrated with SDG4 and Education Sector Plans, including with Ministries of Education/Higher Education, education partners and coordination networks (Global Partnership for Education, Education Cannot Wait (ECW) and Local Education Groups, etc.).
- Foster inter-sectoral linkages and coordination with child protection, GBV, gender, community services, livelihoods/economic inclusion and health, among others, and provide specialist advice for other sectors, to ensure that they fully integrate education related concerns in their planning.
- Assist the supervisor in monitoring the implementation of education programmes and provide guidance on orientation.
- Support the supervisor in monitoring the implementation of Global Refugee Forum pledges within the AoR.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of UNHCR’s role concerning education, represent UNHCR at national consultations, and represent UNHCR’s education strategy and policy to other UN bodies, NGOs, interlocutors, institutions and organisations.
- Train UNHCR staff, sister UN agency staff, NGOs, and Ministry of Education officials on refugee education priorities and identified topics.
- Assist with the development and dissemination of relevant tools to support UNHCR staff and partners within the AoR.
- Support active exchange of information and that best practices are identified, documented and disseminated both within the AoR and beyond.
- Join joint assessment missions in emergencies to minimise the time refugee children and youth spend out of education (ideally a maximum of three months after arrival).
- Prepare and draft education input in key internal and external documents and reports.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Assistant Education Officer job should hold For P1/NOA – 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree in Education; Social Sciences; or other relevant field.
- Strong inter-personal skills in collaboration and coordination.
- Excellent analytical skills and drafting skills.
- Strong communications/presentations skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with minimum supervision.
- Experience with educational research, teaching or education administration.
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Field experience in education programme implementation and coordination in humanitarian and/or development contexts.
- Experience working with Governments, Ministry of Education and other line Ministries.
- Demonstrated work experience in refugee education programmes.
- Knowledge and experience of UNHCR policies and standards.
- Experience in the area of child protection.
- Demonstrated work experience in education programmes.
- *PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
- PR-Community Services-Communication/Development/Organization
- PR-Community-based Protection – Planning, implementing and analysing surveys/assessments *PR-Education Administration/Programme/Coordination/Techniques
- PR-INEE (International Network for Education in Emergencies) standards and implementation
- PR-Refugee Education programmes
- TR-Training Design/Material Preparation
- EX-Experience with training/certifications
- PR-Child Protection/Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Policy Development and Research
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 29th July 2021
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com