Job Title: Internal Auditor
Organisation: Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST)
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Reports to: Administratively to the Vice Chancellor; functionally to the University Council through the Audit and Risk Management Committee
Mbarara University of Science and Technology is a public university based in Western Uganda. Mbarara University of Science & Technology (MUST), commonly known as Mbarara University, is a public university in Uganda. Mbarara University commenced student intake and instruction in 1989. It is one of the eight public universities and degree-awarding institutions in the country. MUST is accredited by the Uganda National Council for Higher Education.
Job Summary: The Internal Auditor will provide independent and objective assurance and advisory services on governance, risk management and control processes through disciplined approach by measuring and evaluating internal controls.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Internal Auditor shall be the head of the internal audit function in the university and shall be responsible for:
- Identifying, assessing and evaluating risks affecting achievement of university objectives.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the risk management procedures, controls and governance processes within the university.
- Advising management on areas to improve and new risk management procedures to introduce.
- Assessing the economy, efficiency and effectiveness with which the operations of the university are conducted.
- Assessing the economy, efficiency and effectiveness with which the resources of the University are allocated and utilized.
- Assessing and providing reasonable assurance about the procedures in place for safeguarding University assets.
- Evaluating and providing assurance about compliance with International auditing standards and applicable, policies, laws, regulations, procedures and plans.
- Preparing of 3 year rolling internal audit plans based on the assessment of key areas of risk of the University.
- Preparing of annual internal audit plans.
- Supervising the internal audit staff.
- Preparing of quarterly audit reports to the Accounting Officer and Audit and Risk Committee and Council.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by Council.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Master’s degree in either Accounting or Finance (Accounting option) or Business Administration (Accounting option) from a recognized awarding institution/university.
- Must possess an honours Bachelor’s degree in either Commerce, Accounting and Finance or Business Administration (Accounting Option).
- Must have full professional accounting qualifications such as ACCA, CPA, CIMA or CIA.
- Consistent with the provision of Section 34(2) of the Accountants Act 2013, be a member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU).
- Possession of a diploma in Law or Certificate in Administrative Law is an added advantage.
- Possession of any qualification in Management is also an added advantage.
- Should have a minimum of fifteen (15) years’ work experience demonstrating increasing levels of responsibilities, professional experience and leadership in internal audit services or accounting and financial management, five (5) of which should have been served at a senior management level providing audit services in a reputable organization.
- Must not be above 55 years of age at the time of application.
How to Apply:
All applicants are required to submit signed applications accompanied by detailed CVs, certified copies of all relevant academic documents, appointment and other employment documents; and their national ID. Applicants should indicate three names, telephone contacts and e-mail addresses of professional referees (excluding social referees) who can attest to their professional competences for the job of Internal Auditor.
The application and all the attachments should be addressed to the University Secretary at the address below and sent as one file in PDF format to email address: email@example.com n
The University Secretary,
Mbarara University of Science and Technology,
P.O Box 1410, Mbarara, Uganda
NOTE: Due to COVID 19, hard copies shall not be accepted.
Deadline: Friday 6th August, 2021 at 5.00 pm Nairobi time.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com