Job Title: Associate Finance Officer (Fresher UN Jobs)
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Reference: 21-Finance-RSCE-158548-R-Entebbe (M)
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
Job Summary: This position is located in the Uniformed Personnel Section. The focus of the Associate Finance Officer will be to offer support to the overall management of the service line within the Service Delivery model of the RSCE. The Associate Finance Officer at this level assists in providing services for a fully integrated and regulatory-compliant Service Line. The post assists in providing advice to staff members and managers, encompassing sub-functional specialties in relation to the activities of their Service Lines such as financial management. The Associate Finance Officer at this level reports to the Chief of Unit.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
On behalf of the Service Line, the Associate Finance Officer supports the Centre as follows:
Administration of Allowances and Payments:
- Assists in managing the achievement of RSCE key performance indicators (KPIs) and all Service Level Agreement (SLAs) components for RSCE projects/programmes/operations related to the respective Service Line.
- Assists in the monthly payroll simulation analysis. Process and approve payroll transactions on behalf of the RSCE client missions.
- Assists in the management of delivery of services such as the processing of non-travel related commercial vendors’ invoices and payments to vendors providing goods or services to all RSCE Client Missions (processing invoices resulting from commitments such as Purchase Orders, Fund Commitments, Direct Expenditures, Medical clinic invoices and Replenishment of imprest/petty cash.
- Prepares staff members’ claims, danger pay and daily subsistence allowance, Mission subsistence allowance for Government Provided Personnel, Civilian Police and Staff Officers, Volunteer Living allowance and any other allowances for payments in conformity and adherence to applicable United Nations policies e.g., staff rules, financial regulations and rules, ST/Al issuances or practices, IPSAS policy framework etc.
- Assists in supervising the disbursement processes of the RSCE or the Client Missions as appropriate; monitor the house bank account balances and transaction summaries; assists in managing cash flow requirements.
- Provides advice, financial interpretations, adaptations and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the UN Financial Regulations and Rules, Staff Rules, Administrative Instructions, Bulletins and Circulars under the guidance of the Service Delivery Manager.
- Acts as a Certifying Officer under Financial Rule 105.5 or Approving Officer under Financial Rule 105.4 in adherence with the UN Regulations and Rules.
- Reviews and verifies completeness of documentation supporting invoices and payment requests.
- Analyzes accounting transactions and open items in the accounting system and recommends corrective actions.
- Performs other duties as maybe assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Associate Finance Officer should hold Masters degree (or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget business administration or related area is required.
- Experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds and programmes) or similar International Organization or non-governmental organization in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable.
- Experience with financial management or accounting in an international setting is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in English is required; and knowledge of French is desirable.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Deadline: 7th October 2021
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com