Job Title: Assistant Accountant (Fresher Jobs)
Organisation: LWF World Service (LWF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Accountant
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world. Lutheran World Federation (LWF) Uganda is part of the LWF World Service and we are currently supporting Congolese and South-Sudanese refugees living in settlements in the districts of Kamwenge, Adjumani, Moyo, Kyangwali and Lamwo respectively.
Job Summary: The Assistant Accountant ensures that accounting systems are maintained to provide the information required for planning and monitoring and reporting for Sub program operations, safeguarding assets, discharging liabilities and legal responsibilities, in accordance with the LWF Uganda policies and budget provisions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the Maintenance of up-to-date payment/receipt vouchers for all financial transactions in an orderly filing system.
- Supervise the accounts assistant to make proper record of cash received and paid out through the evidence of receipts and payment vouchers which are duly authorized. The records must be maintained daily on excel cashbook.
- Facilitates the office cash float by; Advising the Sub Program Accountant/Project Accountant on the need for cash withdrawals;
- Perform a daily close-of –business cash count reconciled to the cash book;
- Ensuring that cash at hand corresponds with cash book balance;
- Tasked with ensuring that the daily cash balance form is verified and endorsed by the accountant;
- Undertaking safe custody of the cash box keys at all times and Handing over the cash float to the Sub Program Accountant/Project Accountant for safe custody
- Supervise the accounts assistants to performs standard cash count, every end of the day.
- Forecasts daily cash requirements and processes cash withdrawals from the bank; and follows up on all account issues that may arise from the bank.
- Must have proactive knowledge of all project bank accounts and their balance at all times.
- Ensure payment requisitions, are correctly coded, and that vouchers are presented to the Accountant for checking and subsequent approval by the Sub Program Accountant /Project Accountant and the Team Leader.
- Make sure that all cheques are duly signed/endorsed prior to payment, while making sure that the accounts assistant maintains an accurate cheque register of cheque stubs, current bank balances and records.
- Support the Project Accountant to Forecasts daily cash requirements and processes cash withdrawals from the bank.
- Supervise the Accounts assistants to prepare the petty cash replenishment report as the need arises.
- Prepares payment vouchers as instructed by the Project Accountant /Sub program Accountant.
- Makes sure that requests for payments are fully documented and correctly coded before vouchers are processed.
- Makes sure that payees have proper identification before checks are released or before payments are deposited to their respective bank accounts.
- Organizes the box files – payment vouchers, receipt vouchers, journal vouchers, and all other finance documents in an orderly manner.
- Records and monitors all files borrowed or photocopies by staff from other departments; makes sure all documents taken out during the day will immediately be returned and must be within the same day.
- Ensures that balance sheet items (i.e., cash accounts, bank accounts, personal accounts, debtors, creditors, payroll accounts, etc.) have been reconciled, and a report shared.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelors’ Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or commerce is required. Partial professional accounting qualification (ACCA, CPA, etc at least level I), Computer literacy and proficiency in accounting software package(s) most preferably SAGE.
- One year of relevant working experience in working for International NGOs in a humanitarian and development setting
- Extensive knowledge of International NGO donors and their financial reporting requirements, Strong team building skills
- Organized and methodical. Independence, objectivity and integrity;
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications online at the link below addressed to;
LWF Uganda Office of Human Resources,
Plot 1401, Ggabba Road, Nsambya,
P.O Box 5827, Kampala- Uganda
LWF/DWS is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation. Female candidates possessing the above requirements are encouraged to apply. LWF/DWS is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect the organization’s commitment to the prevention of abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 9th August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com