The Senior Internal Auditor (SIA) is responsible for supporting the internal audit unit in the planning, execution, and reporting of scheduled audits/ special reviews/ investigations; drafting internal audit reports to communicate audit results to management; performing initial reviews of work performed by junior audit team members; supervising, guiding and mentoring junior audit staff; and performing any other duties as assigned by the Internal Audit Manager and Senior Manager, Internal Audit & Risk Management.
- Conduct and take lead on audits/ special reviews with respect to major audit assignments.
- Execute audits in accordance with the Internal Audit methodology/ programme.
- Execute internal audit plans efficiently to ensure that work is completed within specified time and quality parameters.
- Monitor the progress of audits and carry out initial reviews of work performed by junior members of the audit team.
- During and at the end of the audit execution, communicate and highlight key matters for the Managers’ attention.
- Engage auditees in discussions of preliminary audit findings.
- Prepare draft internal audit reports reflecting the results of the work performed and making practical recommendations.
- Supervise and coach junior staff to ensure quality in all phases of the audit process.
- As delegated by the IA Manager and/or Senior Manager:
- Preside over audit entry and exit meetings
- Communicate audit findings to management
- Participate at any other forum as may be reasonably assigned.
- Monitor/ perform follow-ups on the status of agreed audit recommendations.
- Carry out risk assessments of potential sub-grantees.
Fraud Prevention and Control:
- Carry out fraud investigations, whistleblower allegations and other investigative assignments as may be assigned by the Senior Manager, Internal Audit & Risk Management.
- Draft investigative reports.
Anti-money Laundering Compliance:
- Assist with the development, implementation, and maintenance of an anti-money laundering program within the Institute
- Ensure compliance with current AML regulations, and other relevant legislation
- Identify and report all suspicious transactions to the Senior Manager IA & Risk Management for onward submission.
- Briefing and reporting to Senior Manager IA & Risk Management on matters relating to internal AML compliance policies and procedures
- Overseeing and implementing an ongoing AML training program for other employees
- Identify training needs of the team members and recommend specific training opportunities for the team.
- Participate in the monthly orientation program of new staff in the organisation
- Represent the audit section at any other meetings/ fora when called upon or in the absence of the IA Manager and Senior Manager, IA & RM.
- Perform any other duties as may be reasonably assigned.
- The candidate should posses a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University.
- Possession of or studying to attain professional qualifications such as ACCA, CPA, CIA or CIMA.
- AML Certifications would be an added advantage
- At least four years’ experience in the Internal Audit department of a reputable organization and/or experience in a reputable audit firm.
- Experience in IT audits will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of audit procedures and requirements
- Knowledge of computerized accounting packages – preferably Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
- Knowledge of donor accountability requirements
- Knowledge of Anti-money laundering guidelines.
- Accurately compile data and analyze information
- Use professional judgment and skepticism to conduct work.
- Comprehend and interpret policies, procedures, laws, regulations and guidelines
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and auditees.
- Work both independently and as a team member, with limited required direction and guidance, and provide appropriate direction to other internal audit team members.
- Learn and take on assignments of a specialist nature.
- Perform frequent trips to our project sites up country.
- Effective report writing and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint, etc.)