Light for the World is a global development organisation. We empower people with disabilities and enable eye health services in low-income countries. Over the last three decades we improved health systems, enabled education for all, and amplified the voices of people with disabilities Our programmes include:
- Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all
- Inclusive Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education
- Inclusive Economic Empowerment – ensuring that barriers are removed for men and women with disabilities to access decent work
We focus on the poorest and hardest to reach because that’s where we will have the biggest impact.
In Uganda, our country strategy for the year 2021-2025 focuses on Eye health, Inclusive Economic Empowerment, Disability Inclusion and Inclusive Education.
Currently, Light for the World Uganda implements projects on eye health, inclusive economic empowerment and disability inclusion with a presence in 21 districts.
Light for the World is recruiting for the position below.
Number of Positions: 3
Based in Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to the Procurement & Logistics Officer, the On Call Driver will be responsible for providing reliable and safe driving services and maintaining LFTW vehicles within and outside Kampala Office as per technical guidance and specifications established by the organization.
The Driver also demonstrates a client – oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds while ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. Overall the driver should abide by LFTW policies and guidelines pertaining to project vehicle use and management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operating the vehicle to provide reliable and safe transportation for staff of the organization for official movements.
- Safe delivery and collection of mail, documents and any other cargo.
- Loading and offloading items and filling delivery documents as required.
- Maintaining documentation in regard to fleet operations as per the mileage covered, fuel utilized, trips made and purpose for the journeys in the given logbook.
- Getting the vehicle serviced as per schedule and reporting any necessary repairs on it for attention.
- Maintaining a record of the maintenance and service schedule in the given logbook.
- Keeping the vehicle interior and exterior clean at all times.
- Operating the vehicle within the given speed limits.
- Ensuring that the right number of passengers use the vehicle with the fitted seat belts.
- Making sure that the vehicle insurance is up to date.
- Keeping a valid driver’s license and copies of any other appropriate documents for the vehicle assigned.
- Ensure availability of all requirements including, valid driving license, insurance, vehicle logs, emergency phone contacts, first aid kit & necessary spares in the assigned vehicle.
- Comply with LFTW policies and procedures in relation to reporting any anomalies, incidents and / or accidents in regard to the vehicle.
- Prepare a vehicle report for the vehicle assigned at the end of each usage period.
- Ensure that the vehicle is parked safely at all times.
- Uganda Certificate of Education.
- Very good knowledge of spoken and written English.
- Valid clean Driving License with Class B or D1 with at least 5 years of driving experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- High level of honesty and integrity.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Basic knowledge of store keeping.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Experience working in an NGO or similar organisation.
How to Apply
What we can offer as an employer:
We offer an outstanding opportunity to bring about change through an international development organisation with strong expertise, a growing profile, and a dedicated team.
We are looking forward to receiving your application by 24 August 2022 at the latest. Please apply using https://lftw.hrmagic.co/careers. A complete CV and a letter of motivation are important parts of this. Please let us know why you would like to join our team and why you consider yourself suitable.
Light for the World is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.