Position Title: Driver
Reports To: General Service Officer
Division : Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Administration, Property
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Grade Level: Grade 2, Technician, National
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for driving and maintaining CWS/RSC Africa vehicles to complete assigned errands on behalf of the organization.
- Drives CWS/RSC Africa motor vehicles to complete assigned duties.
- Cleans and cares for official CWS/RSC Africa vehicles. Conducts regular checks of vehicles to ensure that they are mechanically sound and in good working order and reports any problems noted to the General Service Officer.
- Provides safe transportation to meetings and other destinations for CWS/RSC Africa staff and visitors on official business.
- Posts and collects mail, weighs and affixes the correct amount of stamps on letters and packages.
- Assists in the safe banking of CWS/RSC Africa checks and cash as well as replenishment of petty cash.
- Maintains accurate records of deliveries made to other offices in the CWS/RSC Africa delivery book.
- Performs general clerical duties as may be assigned and which may include photocopying and packing supplies for field team travel.
- Facilitates the processing of work permits and alien registration certificates for expatriate staff and the processing of visas for CWS/RSC Africa staff proceeding on circuit rides and any other official travel.
- Repairs minor mechanical problems on the CWS/RSC Africa motor vehicles after confirming the same with the General Service Officer.
- Obtains quotations and makes simple purchases on behalf of the office and as per instructions by the General Service Officer.
- Records each and every trip made in the book.
- Ensures that the fuel level in each vehicle does not go below half tank.
- Performs other duties, which are developed and assigned in order to improve the operations of the CWS/RSC Africa office.
- Two (2) years of driving experience required.
- Working knowledge of basic motor vehicle mechanics and required.
- Good working knowledge of Nairobi and its vicinity.
Education & Certifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records;
- Analyze and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates.
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa.
- This position is based in Kampala, Uganda
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
- Background check which includes references and an educational criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Full Time