Supervises:Orthopaedic Workshop (OWS) Assistants, Shoe Artisan, and Volunteers
Objective of the position:
Fabricate, repair and issue good quality prosthetics/orthotics (assistive devices and appliances) for patients/users.
Assessment of patient/user
- Is responsible for the examination of the patient/user and prescription of prosthetics/orthotics; and advises on the design of the prosthetic/orthotic device interface, suspension and selection of the proper components.
- Advises on relevant aspects of pre-surgical, post-surgical, medical and therapeutic management of individuals requiring prosthetic/ orthotic devices.
- Records and reports any pertinent information regarding patients/users and their families, including a determination of expectations and needs.
- Communicates appropriate information to patients/users and their families.
Fabrication, Fitting and Issuing of prosthetics/orthotics
- Identiﬁes physical and other relevant characteristics of the patient/user.
- Formulates a range of prosthetic or orthotic designs including selection of materials, components and additional aids.
- Is responsible for all casts and measurements required for proper fabrication and ﬁtting.
- Modiﬁes positive and/or negative models and/or layouts of design to obtain optimal ﬁt and alignment.
- Carries out ﬁtting, static and dynamic alignment and, where appropriate, preliminary training and initial check-out.
- Performs and/or supervises fabrication of the prosthesis or orthosis.
Evaluation and follow-up
- Advises the team and participates directly in ﬁnal check-out and evaluation of ﬁt, function and cosmesis.
- Instructs the patient/user or family in the use and care of the device.
- Takes part in follow-up procedures as well as maintenance, repair and replacement of the appliance.
- Recognizes the need to repeat any of the identiﬁed steps in order to optimize ﬁt and function.
- Collaborates and consults with other multidisciplinary team members engaged in the management of the patient/user.
Management and supervision
- Supervises the tasks of supporting staff and manages workshop activities assigned to him/her, including:
- use and maintenance of tools and equipment
- maintenance of safe working environment and procedures
- inventory and stock control
- appropriate record keeping
- production quality control
- Devises improved job methods for increasing efﬁciency.
- Liaises with various disciplines/departments involved in client rehabilitation whenever required.
Training and education
- Supervise and take part in the training of orthopaedic technologists, technicians and bench workers.
- Train and demonstrate to colleagues and other professionals concerned with prosthetics/orthotics and also to community and other interested groups.
- Participate in Information, Education and Communication (IEC) sessions for patients and attendants.
- Participate and contribute to the process of continuing professional development.
- Keeps abreast of new developments concerning prosthetics/orthotics and teaching techniques.
- Participate in community rehabilitation programs about prosthetics and orthotics upon request.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Diploma in Orthopaedic Technology.
- Up-to-date registration and annual practicing licence with Uganda Allied Health Professionals’ Council.
- Skills to fabricate Canadian prostheses, Upper limb prostheses, corsets and callipers.
- Minimum of 3 years’ working experience.
- Knowledge of rehabilitation of people with disabilities especially children
- Computer knowledge and documentation skills.
How to apply:
- NB: Qualified persons should submit their applications (detailed CV with covering letter plus copies of academic qualifications clearly indicating position applied for).
- Write to The Head of Human Resource, CoRSU Hospital P.O. 46 Kisubi or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interviews. The closing date for receiving applications is Wednesday,31st August,2022.
Qualified persons with Disabilities (PWDs) are encouraged to apply.