Job Title: Internal Auditor
Organisation: Sanyu Africa Research Institute (SAfRI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Sanyu Africa Research Institute (SAfRI) is a local indigenous Non Government Organization. SAfRI was set up in Mbale, Eastern Uganda away from the central region of the country. Mbale is a focal point for and close to areas with significant poor health indicators due to numerous health challenges in the country. With access to low cost innovative technologies and research from SAfRI, many of these health indicators could be improved.
Job Summary: The Internal Auditor will effectively Plan and manage the Internal Audit Function and provide an independent cost-effective audit service to SAfRI and its implementing partners in line with an approved audit charter and international audit best practices.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop, review and Operationalize the audit charter and Manual for the effective running of the Internal Audit Function
- To develop and review the SAfRI audit manual/charter with the aim of strengthening Management accountability and BOD oversight
- Conduct research on the best practices into such process and activities and develop/update audit charter
- Implement and monitor adherence to the audit charter and manuals Develop, maintain and provide quality assurance improvement in programmes covering planned internal audit activities
- Document all audit concerns in the working paper
- Develop an annual work plan based on fiscal risk areas of the organization and submit it to the Audit and Risk Management Committee
- Implement proper referencing and filing
- Prepare and submit quarterly internal audit reports and consolidated annual reports to the Audit and Risk Management Committee Review financial systems, internal controls and organizational policies to assure management of efficient and effective use of resources, accuracy of records, security of assets and prevention of fraud in accordance with organizational policies and procedures, national laws, donor guidelines and the International Standards on Auditing
- Perform special investigations of systems, policies, procedures and activities as requested by management
- Appraise and evaluate the adequacy, efficiency and effectiveness of the internal controls (policies, procedures and guidelines) put in place to safe guard the financial assets, physical assets, and the human resources.
- Verify SAfRI’s and assigned partners/ entities’ expenditure against the donor guidelines, requirements and national laws and report on the level of compliance
- Review and report on the accuracy, completeness, reliability and timeliness of the financial records.
- Strengthen control in the system of authorization and approvals to ensure that the resources are utilized in accordance with
- Review departmental processes for consistent use of GAAP and best practices
- Report on audit findings to management and governance levels so that full consideration is given to the benefit of improving controls management’s policies and procedures
- Keep abreast of organisation policies and revise audit procedures to review compliance
Participate in monitoring the effectiveness of the organization’s risk management systems
- Identify, evaluate and report on the adequacy, efficiency and effectiveness of the risk management methodologies used by the management
- Build the capacity of staff and partners to enhance a controlled environment
- Identify capacity gaps; through the normal audit supports, where areas of weaknesses/vulnerabilities are identified
- Prepare a capacity-building report to the Management and the Board of Directors
- Protect the organization’s reputation
- Keeping financial and kinds of information confidential Improve protection by recommending changes in management monitoring, assessment, and motivational practices, in the internal control structure, and in operating processes; identifying root causes.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’ degree in Commerce, Business Administration or Financial Management majoring in accounting from a recognized institution is essential.
- Post Graduate Qualification in Accounting/Business Administration is an added advantage.
- A professional qualification; ACCA, CPA, CIA, is essential
- At least three years of auditing experience with extensive knowledge of NGO operations and knowledge of current auditing practices and trends
- Very familiar with both program and financial audit
- Information Systems Audit Experience
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Proven strategic and implementation ability with strong conceptual and analytical skills for auditing
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results with strong people leadership skills and abilities
- Build Relationships – ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to build capacity in accountability and internal controls
- Computer literacy
- A commitment to women empowerment as a route to development
- Financial Management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Human Resource Management skills
How to Apply:
NB: Sanyu Africa Research Institute is an equal opportunity organization and only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 12th April 2023.