Job Title: Human Resource Associate (Fresher Jobs)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
DefendDefenders (East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project) is a regional non-governmental organisation (NGO) based in Kampala, Uganda, that seeks to strengthen the work of human rights defenders throughout the sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. DefendDefenders works in Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia/Somaliland, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. More information is available on our website, and social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram).
Job Summary: DefendDefenders is looking for a full-time human resource officer to maintain its infrastructure. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and effectively and be a team player that can provide guidance.
The Human Resource Associate provides key support in all human resources functions, including but not limited to talent acquisition and onboarding, cross-department coordination, personnel file management, training and development, staff benefits coordination, staff engagement, administration of the human resource information system, and assisting in the human resource admin activities on a day-to-day basis. The person in this role is an efficient and effective Human Resource professional with strong interpersonal skills, a keen eye for attention to detail, and the ability to create and maintain effective processes and systems to meet the departmental and organizational objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the overall talent development strategy of the organization and work collaboratively across functions to identify current and future staffing needs.
- Develop and implement effective recruitment strategies, screen resumes, conduct interviews, and evaluate candidates to ensure a high-quality recruitment process.
- Maintain a recruitment database and develop a strong talent pool to meet the organization’s needs.
- Prepare all relevant documents, forms, and contracts and ensure timely information collection and coordination with relevant departments through the recruitment and onboarding process.
- Provide orientation for new employees by providing information packets, reviewing company policies, explaining benefit programs, and obtaining document signatures.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure a seamless and effective onboarding and off boarding process for employees.
- Prepare and present reports on recruitment and training activities to management as required.
- Support the development and implementation of human resource initiatives, policies and systems.
- Ensure effective management of employee welfare programs which include leave management, health insurance schemes, wellness programs and others for improved employee experience.
- Support the management of employee disciplinary and grievance issues in line with the company human resource policy and employment laws.
- Support and coordinate the annual performance management review cycle to ensure timely completion of the exercise.
- Participate in the development of a comprehensive learning and development manual and charter.
- Design, deliver and evaluate staff learning and development programs to meet organizational needs and improve employee performance.
- Monitor progress made via professional development programs.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date personnel records of all employees, including orderly archiving and staff database.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience: Applicants must be willing to relocate to Kampala, Uganda and must possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management or any related discipline.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resources Management.
- At least three years of experience in human resources.
- Writing and communication ability.
- Strong ethical commitment to privacy and information protection and personal commitment to human rights standards for all.
- Knowledge of local languages spoken in East and Horn of Africa an asset.
- Strong knowledge and experience in HR data management processes and systems with the ability to analyze and interpret numerical data and processes.
- Experience with full-cycle recruiting, using various interview techniques and evaluation methods and knowledge of Applicant Tracking Systems.
- Proficiency in documenting processes and keeping up with trends and best practices.
- Demonstrable skills in digital media outreach and HR databases.
- Experience working with an NGO.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of HR information.
- Well-organized, process-oriented and with strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to perform with limited supervision.
- Excellent IT skills, including Human Resource Information System, MS Office and Google Suite.
- Strong training and facilitation skills.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply with the following documents in a single submission:
- Letter of motivation
- CV including two references
E-mail your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Please do not attach copies of qualifications/diploma at this stage. Only complete applications will be reviewed. All materials should be submitted via email. We regret that owing to the volume in applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 15th April 2023