Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Legal Officer (Civil Litigation and Advisory)
The National Environment Management Authority (hereinafter called “NEMA”) was established under the National Environment Act, Cap.153 in May 1995 and continued under the National Environment Act No.5 of 2019 as the principal agency for environment management in Uganda charged with regulating, supervising and coordinating all activities relating to the environment.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer (Civil Litigation and Advisory) will support effective management of the Civil Litigation and Advisory Service at NEMA
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of section Work Plans, Budgets and prepare timely reports including status reports of court cases
- Support legal representation of NEMA in all civil matters
- Effectively manage witnesses and evidence to ensure successful civil litigation
- Provide legal support to legislative drafting processes
- Provide legal support to Multi-Lateral Environmental Agreements, Treaties and Conventions negotiations and implementation
- Support representation of NEMA in Civil Courts at all levels
- Support training and assist in the formulation of bye laws and ordinances for Local Governments
- Support negotiation and drafting of legal documents
- Provide Legal Advisory services to the Authority
- Perform any other official duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Honors Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized University;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Be enrolled as an advocate of the High Court of Uganda.
- Possess a valid practicing certificate, except if working in a government institution
- Leadership, team building and supervision skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent scholarly writing and publication skills
- Excellent analytical and presentation skills
- Financial and human resource management skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Resource Mobilization skills
- Risk management skills
- Excellent Information Communication Technology skills
- Excellent command of the English language
How to Apply:
Staff of Uganda Police Force, Uganda People’s Defense Forces, Uganda Wildlife Authority and the Uganda Intelligence Services who have requisite requirements for the positions of Manager Environment Protection Force, Principal Environment Intelligence Officer, Principal Investigations Officer and Environment Protection Officer may respond to this Internal Advert for only the said positions subject to their internal clearance processes as appropriate.
Potential candidates should download an application form, Download Here, and fill the form and attach “O” and “A” level certificates, Bachelor’s and Postgraduate Degree Transcripts and Certificates, Professional certificates where applicable and Employment letters in one pdf file named: “Position-Name of Applicant”.
The one pdf file should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not in one pdf file and those arriving after closing time will not be considered.
Applicants are allowed to apply for not more than two posts. Those who applied for the re-advertised jobs, need not to reapply except if they have now acquired requisite qualifications.
Deadline: 16th April 2023