Job Title: Project Manager
Organisation: Humanity & Inclusion (Handicap International)
Duty Station: Yumbe, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Programs
Gross Salary: UGX 6,275,938 – 7,083,872
Length of Contract: Until 31/12/2023
Start Date: As soon as possible
Co-recipient of the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize, Humanity & Inclusion (the new name of Handicap International) is a 40-year-old independent and impartial organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and individuals experiencing extreme hardship, taking action and bearing witness to respond to their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
HI in Uganda is currently implementing development and humanitarian interventions in six sectors/thematic areas: Livelihood, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS), Physical and Functional Rehabilitation, Inclusive Education, Inclusive Health, and Inclusive Humanitarian Action (IHA) to improve access and quality of services to the most vulnerable people including persons with disabilities promoting a more inclusive and harmonious society.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensure operational implementation of the project (project cycle management) and technical supervision.
- Coordinate the implementation of the project following the different steps of the project cycle in close coordination with partners, national and local authorities;
- Implement directly activities falling under PM responsibilities;
- Support technically project implementation including the design and implementation of the activities in coordination with the Technical Unit;
- Ensure appropriate monthly, quarterly, half-year and yearly planning of the project activities;
- Ensure project indicators follow-up and develop adapted tools to do so with the project MEAL Officer;
- Carry out support and follow-up missions in the zones of intervention;
- Identify implementation challenges and propose appropriate solutions / adjustments;
- Develop and timely submit internal and external project reports respecting donor requirements and quality standards in coordination with Technical Unit according to specialties;
- Pilot monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning processes related to the project with MEAL Officer and IE TA;
- Facilitate cooperation and synergies with other HI teams (mutual planning and resources sharing);
- Ensure coordination between project team and technical unit through support requests and regular meetings according to the needs to ensure intervention quality;
- Pilot external evaluations processes and ensure recommendations implementation.
Ensure proper coordination with partners and other external stakeholders.
- Regularly inform and exchange with Education Consortium Management Unit (ECMU) on project level of implementation, challenges met and solutions proposed;
- Ensure respect of partnership agreement with ECMU;
- Develop MoU with partner organisations and ensure respect of the terms of the understanding according to project design under the supervision of the Field Coordinator;
- Ensure regular coordination meeting with partner organisations including common evaluation of project implementation;
- Propose, in coordination with Technical Unit, adapted means to answer challenges faced by partner organisations and ensure implementation of adapted activities;
- Represent the project towards external partners, local and national;
- Represent HI in the different coordination platforms;
- Contribute to staff and partners’ capacity building according to identified needs and project activities.
Ensure administrative and financial management of the project. Together with support services:
- Endorse budget holder responsibilities;
- Establish annual budgetary planning and monthly treasury forecasts;
- Ensure proper and regular follow-up of project’s expenses, analyse discrepancies, anticipate evolutions and propose budgetary adjustments;
- Ensure proper storage of project documentation;
- Ensure respect of internal and donors financial procedures (eligibility and flexibility rules);
- Support the financial manager in the development of financial reports;
- Ensure respect of procurement and service provision procedures (logistics).
Manage and support project team.
- Ensure support and management of the project team;
- Ensure development and evaluation of the individual objectives of the project team;
- Participate in the recruitment of the team members if needed, respecting HI human resources standards and procedures;
- Contribute to staff capacity building through skills and knowledge transfer;
- Ensure appropriate flow and coordination of information between project team and other HI services;
- Ensure development and follow-up of individual action plans
Ensure proper external Representation and Coordination in his field of expertise. Within time and means constraints, and in coordination with Operations Coordinator:
- Support other project teams intervening in the PM’s field of expertise on technical aspects (indicators development, training plans, proposal writing…)
- Participate in needs assessments in appropriate fields of expertise;
- Contribute to new project design and to programme strategic development reflexion.
Demonstration of an ethics, safe, secure and professional practices.
- To show professional ethics, respect and promote Humanity & Inclusion mandate and humanitarian principles at all times.
- To respect the Humanity & Inclusion protection of children policy, the protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse policy, the anti-fraud bribery and corruption policy and report to your line manager any non-respect of HI’s policies amongst the teams or partners.
- To report any incident or act that causes any harm to beneficiary or to others
- To contribute to the definition and/or update of security framework at field level
- To observe at all times strict commitment to Humanity & Inclusion Security & Safety regulations as per procedures in place at mission level.
- To support information internal dissemination to relevant focal persons at mission level aiming at reinforcing security and safety of Humanity & Inclusion staff and assets
- To participate in security meetings upon the line manager request and report relevant information to the appropriate persons.
Respect for HI identity, rules and policies; In coordination with the Human Resources Manager and the Project Manager:
- Know, understand, apply and respect the HI code of conduct and ethics, HI mandate and values, HI rules and operating procedure, HI policies (child protection policy, policy and mechanism for the prevention of and fight against bribery, the protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse policy) and make sure they are known, understood, applied and respected by its team
- Know, understand, apply and respect HI security rules and make sure they are known, understood and used by their team
Emergency preparedness and response
- Contributes to the program’s emergency preparedness actions and, during an emergency, adapts his/her work modality to contribute to HI’s effective humanitarian response.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Inclusive Education, Special Needs Education or Education sciences with relevant experience working with children with disabilities or allied Degree (OT, Sign Language Interpretation, Psychology, Child development) if applicant has relevant Education Experience.
- Relevant Master Degree or any other experience in Education and Disability fields.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Project Planning and Management.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in an NGO at managerial position.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in project cycle management.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in Education.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in inclusive or special needs education.
- At least one year of experience working in refugee context.
- Experience in consortia lead projects.
- Experience in the fields of inclusion / accessibility of services / services to persons with disabilities.
Personal Skills & Technical Competencies required
- Project cycle management and related tools and methodologies;
- Planning, monitoring and evaluation tools and systems;
- Knowledge of the Education and Disability Sectors in Uganda
- Capacity building, training and coaching skills in design and implementation.
- Perfect fluency in English: written and spoken and strong writing skills;
- Very familiar with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and internet.
- Proven managerial skills.
- Proven representation experience;
- Ability to work under high pressure;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Strong communication and networking skills.
- Strong interest in the fields related to HI mandate.
- Humanity and Inclusion is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we encourage females and persons with disabilities to apply to become a part of our organization. HI provides the reasonable accommodation to facilitate work processes for Persons with Disability
- HI staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the Code of Conduct. In accordance with these values, HI operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-fraud, bribery, and corruption.
- HI does not solicit funds in exchange for employment opportunities.
How to Apply:
If you feel you meet the requirements, please send an updated CV (3 pages max, including three professional referees current and/or past line managers) with a cover letter to HR department at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position applied for in the subject line
NB: Any efforts to influence the recruitment process will lead to automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 30th April 2023 by 11:59pm