Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist
Organisation: Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
About World Bank Grant:
The Government of the Republic of Uganda has been allocated grant funds (the “Grant”) from the World Bank which are administered by the International Development Association (IDA) (the “Bank”) towards implementation of the Generating Growth Opportunities and Productivity for Women Enterprises (GROW) Project. The Project Development Objective is to increase access to entrepreneurial services that enable women entrepreneurs to grow their enterprises in targeted locations, including host and refugee communities. Private Sector Foundation Uganda will implement the Project jointly with Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development (MGLSD).
Job Summary: The overall objective of the assignment is to ensure that various interventions implemented under GROW comply with environmental policies, laws and regulations governing both national/Country and IDA; determining, to what extent the Environment Policies of Government of Uganda and the World Bank are followed during implementation of such activities; and determining the level of compliance with regard to the provisions in the National Environment Act, 2019 and the Occupational, safety and Health Act, 2006 and other cross cutting issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development, maintenance and operation of the Environment compliance monitoring system including reporting progress of implementation of Environment management.
- Provide technical guidance to Private Sector Foundation Uganda/GROW and its implementing agencies and other stakeholders on ensuring aspects of Environment compliance measures are implemented and adhered to.
- Undertake stakeholder engagement and consultations on all sub-projects
- Support the collection, analysis and utilization of environment information at National and enterprise level
- Coordinate and Support preparation of periodic project progress reports with adequate input on project performance on environment guidelines
- Undertake periodic training and capacity building of key GROW implementers at National and enterprise levels on implementing environmental guidelines under the project, including orienting them on the application of the Environment management Framework (EMF)
- Ensure adequate Environment records and documentation are kept (including photographs,) of works and sub projects and adequate documentation of stakeholders consultations and land affirmations
- Assist in developing ToR for the environment impact assessments, environmental audits and management plans for specific GROW sub components. ix ) Advise Management on strategies for strengthening implementation of Environment measures
- Generate specific out puts (deliverables) as determined form time to time in the respective projected work plans for each quarter
- Undertake environmental monitoring and supervision of project works, including development of monitoring checklists, compilation of progress reports to ensure compliance with the relevant environmental requirements.
- Support mainstreaming of environmental requirements including compliance with OHS into the bidding documents and training.
Key Result Areas:
- Development and implementation of systems and processes for environmental and social due diligence under GROW and ensuring their adequacy and compliance at all levels;
- Reviewing and strengthening existing data and data bases on environment at agency levels aimed at ensuring their adequacy for efficient and effective reporting on implementation of the safeguards
- Developing and reviewing the environment safeguards screening, reporting and other tools and forms to be used by GROW.
- Ensuring the assessment of performance of agencies, enterprises and contractors on environmental safeguards compliance;
- Preparation of input to the quarterly and annual Reports;
- Leading GROW environment dialogue and strengthening PSFU knowledge and capacity to implement environmental measures. This will include training the relevant PSFU units and other implementers on mainstreaming environmental aspects in the development projects.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Applicants should possess MSc in Environment and Natural Resources Management from a recognized institution.
- At least five years of relevant experience in managing environmental and natural resources.
- Broad understanding of National Environmental Laws, Policies, regulations and World Bank Environmental Framework.
- Demonstrated knowledge of supporting a comprehensive and balanced approach to environmental management is required including scoping screening, research, risk assessment, planning, project development and implementation, monitoring and reporting.
How to Apply:
All interested eligible applicants should submit applications including a cover letter, current Curriculum Vitae and Academic Certificates and Transcripts to demonstrate that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services. Applications should be hand delivered to PSFU indicating the Reference Number and Position applied for to the address below. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The Chief Executive Officer,
Private Sector Foundation Uganda,
Plot 43 Nakasero Road,
P.O Box 7683, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 1st May 2023 by 5:00pm