Job Title: Air Operations Officer
Organisation: United Nations Department of Operational Support (DOS)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 23-Transportation-DOS-204620-R-Entebbe (M)
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) provides operational support to all UN Secretariat entities, including advisory, operational and transactional support services and, where needed, exercises delegated authority on behalf of clients. DOS supports the entire UN Secretariat, consisting of almost 100 entities located around the globe.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Air Operations Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Monitors that air operations are conducted in compliance with Air Tasking Orders (ATOs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), UN directives, Department of Operational Support (DOS) Aviation Manual, UN Aviation Standards for Peacekeeping and Humanitarian Air Transport Operations. (UN AVSTADS), UN Aviation Safety Manual, ICAO standards and recommended practices and the host country’s Aeronautical Information Publications (AlPs).
- Reviews and approves Air Mission Requests and ensures that the most suitable air asset(s) is/are assigned to a task to achieve the maximum safety, cost efficiency and effectiveness in the mission support.
- Consolidates and reviews all operational and logistical mission flight requests.
- Coordinates plans and verities the daily projected Air Tasking Orders (ATOs) for conformance and compliance with the requested tasks resolves conflicting priorities and ensures that ATOs are published and communicated to all relevant elements in accordance with the established procedures and deadlines.
- Prepares and publishes mission materials, flight schedules and air task orders and issues them to Flight crews.
- Participates in the development of aviation standard operating procedures (SOPs) in compliance with the DOS Aviation Manual, TCAO, TA and the host country’s AlPs.
- Ensures that flight crews are briefed and conversant with UN policies, flight safety procedures and latest applicable aviation standard requirements. Confirms that appropriate reference documents are readily available and accessible to all Hight crew members and aviation personnel.
- Manages routine (regular passenger/cargo, logistics resupply) flights, special (casualty and medical evacuation, VIP) flights and military operational flights.
- Coordinates the integrated search and rescue operations for UN air assets and other aircraft upon request.
- Supervises timely coordination of diplomatic over flight/landing clearances, ground handling support and hotel accommodation/meals, transportation arrangements for aircrews.
- Coordinates weather observation, forecasting and dissemination of weather information.
- Liaises closely with other Sections/Missions, international organizations/agencies concerning aviation movement matters.
- Liaises with other UN units/sections, non-government and government organizations and intergovernmental agencies on aviation matters.
- Verifies and analyses the detailed FSDH Statement of Requirements to UNHQ for aircraft acquisition.
- Coordinates the responses to UNHQ aircraft technical evaluations to ensure that vendor’s proposals meet technical requirements under the service delivery model.
- Prepares operational plans, performance reports, and responses to internal and external audit observations.
- Prepares inputs, data and estimates for budget reporting and planning purposes.
- Acts for the Chief Air Mode Unit in his/her absence.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Department of Operational Support (DOS) Air Operations Officer job must hold a High School diploma or equivalent. Required.
- Training and certification as a Commercial Pilot or a Flight Operations Officer/Flight Dispatcher, or an equivalent military qualification is required.
- Air Transportation/Aviation Management, Aviation Safety Management, Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering, or graduation from an equivalent military educational establishment is desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in air transport operations or aviation safety with at least three (3) years of supervisory experience in a position directly related to the coordination of complex air transport operations in the international environment is required. The minimum years of relevant experience are reduced to five (5) years for candidates who possess a first level university degree.
- Experience in the development and implementation of the safety and quality management systems is desirable.
- Experience in the use of ICAO standards and recommended practices is desirable.
- Experience in air transportation management and/or aviation operations in support of field operations (inclusive of peacekeeping operations, special political missions, agencies funds and programmes), or similar organisation is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in English language is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of aviation industry procurement, operations and logistics processes; Knowledge of institutional mandates, ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices and Annexes of the Chicago Convention, policies and guidelines pertaining to air transport operations and related matters; Knowledge of computer systems similar to SAP ERP and Power BI applications; Knowledge of UN financial regulations and rules. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the online portal link below.
Deadline: 14th May 2023