Responsible for an area of output, including editorial control, reporting, selection and compilation of material, production, leading teams and planning and implementing effective use of resources.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
• Responsible for originating and producing stories which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output.
• Commission and select relevant materials ensuring they meet the expectations of our audiences and adhere to the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
May be required to undertake on-air reporting, may be required to film and edit material for broadcast where appropriate.
• May include the production and presentation of live or recorded programmes.
• May be required to present live or recorded content on radio, TV or online.
• As required, to allocate work to a team and check progress; ensure the professional contribution of staff and the quality of output.
• Seek ways to increase diversity in our workforce and to ensure that our output reflects the audiences we serve.
• Deliver journalism of the highest standard and within the required timeframe using available resources.
• To act as a facilitator of change, clearly communicating and distributing best practices between teams.
• Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
• At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
Knowledge, skills, training and experience
• A high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and production skills based on substantial broadcast journalism experience.
• Maximises opportunities offered by existing and emerging technologies to their fullest extent.
• Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
• Ability to manage resources, staff, technical facilities and budgets, in order to make challenging broadcasting in the most cost effective manner.
• Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
• Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
• Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
• The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
• An understanding of health and safety procedures and how they apply to broadcasting.
Significant level of responsibility. Uses initiative but seeks guidance where necessary.
No line management responsibility but may mentor more junior staff.
• The Senior Journalist (Reporter) will generate new and creative treatments for digital and linear (TV and Radio) platforms.
• Present engagingly for news and current affairs websites and social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and TikTok.
• Work with Video and Digital Producers as appropriate to research, storyboard, report, present, write, translate, edit and adapt stories or programme material for online audiences.
• Demonstrable experience in producing impactful content, including explainers and analysis pieces.
• To use editorial judgement, creativity and flair to make original and compelling visual content.
• Use knowledge of social trends across East, Central and the Horn of Africa to make informed decisions on upcoming stories.
• Work with graphic designers to produce creative and original graphics sequences.
• Responsible for thinking through and around editorial challenges, initiating and implementing realistic alternative strategies and approaches.
• Ensure that BBC Editorial guidelines and all relevant legal, contractual and copyright requirements are met, referring upwards in cases of difficulty or doubt.
• To have appropriate understanding of budgets and be responsible for efficient use of allocated resources.
• Bilingual language expertise is required, with a full command and up to date written and spoken knowledge of a key regional World Service language as well as complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
• Proven experience in covering breaking news stories as well as producing features, investigations and original journalism, using creative storytelling approaches.
•The ability to identify a potential story within the avalanche of daily news and find original and interesting angles and personal stories to explore, and to deliver in a timely fashion.
• To have an accomplished presentation style for digital and linear platforms, which is fluent, engages the viewer and reflects the BBC values.
• Ability to frame and tailor a story for local, regional and/or global audiences and experience of reporting on regional and international current affairs for multiple platforms.
• Proven ability to use data analytic tools across BBC digital platforms and relevant social media platforms, to take editorial decisions and understand audience behaviour in the target market.
• Ability to push BBC News content on social media and engage with audiences according to the BBC editorial guidelines.
• Demonstrable up to date knowledge of the competition and mass media markets in which BBC News operates.
• Ability to produce engaging digital content on complex political and social issues that will appeal to African and global audiences, particularly among women and young people.
• An understanding of BBC News distinctive news agenda and a wider interest in the digital strategy of the BBC as a whole.
• Ability to respond to and report on breaking news and to travel, sometimes at short notice
Closing Date : 5th May, 2023