Job Title: Communications Officer
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
The National Environment Management Authority (hereinafter called “NEMA”) was established under the National Environment Act, Cap.153 in May 1995 and continued under the National Environment Act No.5 of 2019 as the principal agency for environment management in Uganda charged with regulating, supervising and coordinating all activities relating to the environment.
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will support development and implementation of communications for internal and external audiences. Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Communications Officer is responsible for day-to-day communication of project activities to internal and external audiences.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement effective communications activities for external customers and stakeholders;
- Ensure the timely and effective implementation of the approved project activities at field level;
- Ensure the accurate recording of all data relevant for operational, financial and results-based monitoring;
- Write and optimise content for the website, digital newsletters, print publications and social networking sites;
- Ensure consistency in terms of voice, branding, messaging and frequency of posting via digital channels;
- Handle media enquiries and create effective news releases to gain positive press coverage;
- Develop and deliver well-executed and effective campaigns;
- Develop working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and partners;
- Use project planning techniques to deliver the project and actively manage project budgets;
- Implement a communication strategy for the project that includes media outreach and social media content creation;
- Research and write press releases, and content for the project website, infographics, blogs, and newsletters;
- Acquire and maintain a detailed knowledge of the project’s activities, strategies and programmes and keep up-to-date with relevant developments;
- Arrange and coordinate press conferences, and plan events;
- Work with key internal role-players to brainstorm content ideas, in line with the project’s strategy and in support of various project interventions;
- Support and evaluate results of communication campaigns with the team;
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists and key external role-players;
- Prepare accurate and timely quarterly and annual technical reports for activities undertaken as required;
- Perform other project related duties as assigned from time to time by the Project Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Honors Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field of Journalism, Public Relations or Communications.
- A Master’s Degree in the relevant field of Journalism, Public Relations or Communications is added advantage
- At least three years of experience in communications strategy development;
- A proven track-record of professional experience in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field;
- Capability and proven experience in crafting communications strategies with an eye toward results-based management;
- Capability and proven experience crafting messages in various formats (press releases, websites, success stories, blog entries, tweets, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Very good inter-personal skills;
- High degree of initiative, flexibility and creativity;
- Highly computer literate with capability in email, MS Office, and related business and communication tools;
- Content writing experience for all media platforms;
- Proven social media and networking expertise.
How to Apply:
All potential candidates should download an application form, Download Here, and fill the form and attach “O” and “A” level certificates, Bachelor’s and Postgraduate Degree Transcripts and Certificates, Professional certificates where applicable and Employment letters in one pdf file named: “Position-Name of Applicant”.
The one pdf file should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not in one pdf file and those arriving after closing time will not be considered.
Deadline: 12th May 2023