Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
Funding Source: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Project Name: Promoting Integrated Landscape Management approach for conservation of the Mt Elgon Ecosystem in Eastern Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
Job Ref: PILM/ADV/EXT/01/2023
The National Environment Management Authority (hereinafter called “NEMA”) was established under the National Environment Act, Cap.153 in May 1995 and continued under the National Environment Act No.5 of 2019 as the principal agency for environment management in Uganda charged with regulating, supervising and coordinating all activities relating to the environment.
About UNEP Project:
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) has on behalf of Government of Uganda received financial support from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) through the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) for a project on “Promoting Integrated Landscape Management approach for conservation of the Mt Elgon Ecosystem in Eastern Uganda”.
The Goal of the project is to “enhance conservation of ecosystems that provide critical goods and services for rural livelihoods and food security in the Mt. Elgon landscape” while its objective is to “transition the Mt. Elgon landscape to a sustainable, biodiverse, climate-resilient, integrated landscape with efficient coffee and staple crops (maize, beans, banana and Irish potato) value chains.”
Job Summary: The Agribusiness Promotion and Youth Development Officer will support implementation of project activities on alternative livelihoods and business development initiatives. Under the general supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the project partners, the Agribusiness Promotion and Youth Development Officer is responsible for day-to-day implementation of project activities on alternative livelihoods and business development initiatives at field level.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the timely and effective implementation of the approved project activities at field level;
- Participate in the preparation of quarterly and annual work plans and budgets;
- Ensure the accurate recording of all data relevant for operational, financial and results-based monitoring;
- Prepare accurate and timely quarterly and annual technical reports for activities undertaken as required;
- Appraise and analyse the financial viability of the natural resources conservation-based value addition technologies including coffee and staple crops for small-holder farmers;
- Identify and engage with national and local stakeholders (farmers, traders, mechanization and business service providers, financial institutions etc.) involved or interested in supporting the provision of agri-business services amongst smallholder farmers and facilitate linkages and contracts;
- Manage the development of youth-led agro-businesses to deliver agribusiness technical skills and enterprises to the youth;
- Prepare periodic progress reports;
- Build and maintain linkages to appropriate financial products targeting rural service providers and smallholder farmers in consultation with collaborating financial institutions;
- Manage the training of farmers, traders, mechanization and business service providers, and associated businesses in business management, financial management and marketing;
- Assess and enhance the performance of the business models and develop upgrading strategies;
- Significantly contribute to the development of promotional materials and marketing strategies by the private sector to support small scale production;
- Diagnose constraints in the delivery of agribusiness technical skills and enterprises and develop options;
- Facilitate establishment of market information system to farmers through mobile operators;
- Build and facilitate linkages between farmers and producers, processors and traders;
- Ensure proper use of project equipment;
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation for meetings, workshops and seminars and the preparation of meeting and workshop reports;
- Support the Project Manager in the organization of the mid‐term and final evaluations, and provide inputs as required;
- Perform other duties as assigned from time to time by the Project Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Hold an Honors Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field of agriculture.
- A Master’s degree in the relevant field of agriculture is added advantage
- Good communication skills;
- At least five years of relevant experience in value chain development methodologies, program management, agribusiness or agricultural development activities with international, national and local communities.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of agricultural value chains
- Proven exposure and experience supporting producer organizations to access agricultural inputs, advisory and business development services, and output markets; increase their production and marketing efficiencies; and enhance product competitiveness;
- Demonstrated experience in private sector development, entrepreneurship and support to SMEs;
- Demonstrated high-level technical, analytical, interpersonal skills and ability to meet tight deadlines with logical analyses and clear presentation;
- Excellent communication skills and creative thinking personality
- Strong managerial and leadership skills and excellent computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications such as Excel, Power Point)
How to Apply:
All potential candidates should download an application form, Download Here, and fill the form and attach “O” and “A” level certificates, Bachelor’s and Postgraduate Degree Transcripts and Certificates, Professional certificates where applicable and Employment letters in one pdf file named: “Position-Name of Applicant”.
The one pdf file should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications not in one pdf file and those arriving after closing time will not be considered.
Deadline: 12th May 2023