Job Title: Operations Officer
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Yumbe, Uganda
Mercy Corps is an international non-profit organization which implements high-quality, analytical development programmes in very difficult places. Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006. It has and continues to implement programs in Acholi and Karamoja sub regions. Mercy Corps is taking a community-led, market driven approach to address poverty and food insecurity needs through interventions that get to the root causes and contributing factors of economic vulnerability.
Job Summary: The Operations Officer will be responsible for the overall Operations management of Yumbe office sub office. S/he will make sure that all programs in the field are fully supported, timely and accurate. S/he is the key person for all the Yumbe /Westnile Operations arrangements and coordination.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to teams on these policies;
- Coordinate and support development of procurement plans with program management and teams.
- Ensure proper use of procurement thresholds and approval procedures.
- Ensure adherence to procurement time to award and support in coordinating supplier delivery time.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Support Program and Operational personnel in monthly procurement planning meetings.
- Obtain quotations and bids from the market for PRs as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Program.
- Ensure required documentation of transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Ensure proper Maintenance and updating Procurement PR Masterlist
- Track all outstanding commitments in the area of operations.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC.
- Ensure constant revision of Supplier Database.
- Ensure appropriate segregation of duties in the procurement cycle is practiced and observed at all times.
- Document all Logistics procedures and keep file copies of all documentation.
- Responsible for Fleet management and reporting.
- Responsible for Warehouse management and reporting.
- Responsible for Assets and Inventory management and reporting.
- Responsible for admin, facilities management and facility contracts for Mercy Corps offices, guesthouses, and warehouses.
- Maintain a clear record of all leases.
- Assist in operation utility bills like water and power bills.
- Manage the transportation of goods/supplies in Mercy Corps operational areas and to
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Serve as the security focal point for the field office, and implement security policies appropriate for the local context
- Regularly update Security Bulletin Board
- Ensure all national and international staff are well-informed of security incidents, and those incidents are acted upon in a timely fashion
- Inform all staff on existing security related policies, including but not limited to emergency strategies and evacuation plans
- Train newly hired staff on Mercy Corps Security Standard Operating Procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to food security programming.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Mercy Corps Operations Assistant job must hold a bachelor’s degree in Procurement and Logistics Management, Business Administration, or a closely related field. International NGOs is an asset
- A minimum of two years of experience in field operations with strong organizational skills, ability to maintain the Operations filing system, ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- 2-3 years of experience in Logistics, Admin, Asset, Fleet Management, and warehousing
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational skills
- Basic computer skills (Word, Excel)
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members and a proven ability to solve problems independently without direct supervision.
- Working experience with humanitarian organizations will be considered as an add.
- The successful Operations Officer will assist facilities & office management tasks and logistics (i.e., asset, fleet and warehousing) tasks in delivering successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations.
- They will maintain strong cooperative relationships with other departments and interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial and training capacity while demonstrating the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a solid commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants should apply online at the link below.