The International Logistics Assistant is responsible for ensuring the timely processing through customs of all international shipments in and out of Uganda (Air, Sea, and Road). The position holder manages the customs clearance, collects pre-shipment documentation, liaises regularly with shipping companies, and ensures the timely payment of all taxes and local charges. He or She maintains positive relationship with our customs clearance agents, regulatory bodies (URA and UNBS), and the Upstream Supply Chain team based in China. The position holder also communicates regularly with the Supply Chain Manager to provide visibility into inventory and coordinate the offloading on released shipments.
Key performance indicators:
• Average lead time (CN-Warehouse) – Sea shipping
• Average lead time (CN-Warehouse) – Air shipping
• Penalties YTD (demurrage, port storage, container damage)
• TIN Suspension (qty & average duration)
• Maintain and update tracker of all enroute sea and air shipments.
• Prepare quarterly estimates of customs duties and taxes to finance based on planned deliveries.
• Collect, organize, and save all documents for all shipments including, but not limited to, Bill of Ladings, Loading Manifests, Pre-Export Verification of Conformity Documentation (PVoC), Packing List, Commercial Invoice, and Itemized list of content.
• Monitor and stay informed of changes in customs or import regulations affecting EEA-Uganda’s operations.
• Ensure on-time renewal of tax and duty exemptions for EEA’s products.
• Support the development and validation of customs declaration worksheets for incoming shipments.
• Review and validate tax assessments and submit for approval to the Head of Operations Director for payment.
• Review and validate invoices from clearing agents, transporters, and shipping lines and submit for approval to the Head of Operations Director for payment.
• Communicate regularly with clearing agents, shipping lines, and internal stakeholders and respond to queries in a timely manner.
Knowledge and skills:
• Previous experience with or working knowledge of Uganda’s customs clearing process is preferred.
• Previous experience in accounting, logistics, or inventory management is an asset
• Good communication skills.
• Good mathematical skills
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to prioritize and identify issues requiring escalation.
• Relevant University degree
• Proficient in written and spoken English.
• Knowledge of Luganda is an advantage.
Interested and qualified Click here to apply