Organisation: Winrock International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: US-based Program Director
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources.
Job Summary: Winrock’s Farmer-to-Farmer Program (F2F) for Women and Youth Agribusiness in Uganda will engage highly skilled US volunteers to build local capacity and thus strengthen women and youth’s contributions to value chain development resulting in increased incomes and improved participation in agriculture-related resilience interventions. This effort feeds into the goal of the John Ogonowski and Doug Bereuter Farmer-to-Farmer Program to generate sustainable, broad-based economic growth in the agricultural sector. A secondary goal is to increase the American public’s understanding of international development issues and programs and international understanding of the U.S. and U.S. development programs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for directing all aspects of implementation for F2F for the Women and Youth Agribusiness program in Uganda.
- Provide leadership and design activities that achieve program objectives and targeted results.
- Maintain excellent relationships with stakeholders, including host organizations, U.S. volunteers, government and other partner agencies, and the USAID Mission.
- Responsible for in-country operations, administration, staff management and compliance with all Winrock International and USAID policies and procedures.
Volunteer and Host Technical Assistance
- Prepare F2F country project descriptions, work plans, and budgets as required by USAID and Winrock for timely implementation of the program.
- Work with target women and youth agribusinesses to identify and design volunteer technical assistance assignments, conduct needs assessments, draft host technical assistance plans, prepare volunteer scopes of work that ensure the program will meet
- results, and implement and monitor project activities, and supervise staff to do the same.
- Work with field staff and HQ recruiters to ensure that F2F meets annual implementation targets.
- Provide oversight for F2F volunteer logistics and movement in the project areas, and support volunteer and staff safety and health.
- Accompany US volunteers during their assignments, as needed, to provide technical, logistical, and translation support to achieve assignment objectives.
Partner Coordination, Liaison & Outreach
- Act as F2F Program/Winrock representative in Uganda and liaise, as necessary, with local and national government and private institutions, enterprises, women and youth groups, farmer groups, USAID/Uganda, local media, and others as relevant to the technical focus areas of the F2F program in country.
- Develop strategic partnerships to leverage other public and private sector resources and ensure project success.
- Prepare regular updates on volunteer assignments for the USAID Mission, hold periodic briefings.
- Draft short articles and work with HQ team to disseminate through various F2F platforms, including blogs, Facebook, etc.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Adaptation & Learning
- Gather existing sector assessments and other relevant information to identify value chain weaknesses and develop plans for addressing the most significant weaknesses, within the parameters of the F2F program.
- Manage F2F monitoring and evaluation, to include collecting and reviewing host-level baseline and impact surveys submitted by field staff and providing needed requests for clarification.
- Ensure that program staff have the skills and resources to collect accurate and timely baseline data and project impact information.
- Ensure timely submission to HQ of volunteer end-of-assignment reports, as well as additional data and narratives for semi-annual and annual reporting.
- Supervise gender analysis; develop and implement strategies that ensure equitable participation of and benefits for women (see program targets for additional details).
- Promote, organize, and facilitate the F2F Program in coordination with F2F staff in the field and Winrock HQ.
- Supervise field personnel and activities for the F2F program, including travel to field sites as required.
- Prepare F2F activity plans, budgets, and reports as required for the timely implementation of the program.
- Train and mentor F2F field staff.
- Prepare annual work plans and semi-annual technical reports meeting USAID and Winrock requirements.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of financial reports meeting USAID and Winrock requirements.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a field related to agricultural or agribusiness development required; Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of eight years of experience in development programs, at least two of which were in a management role (with experience in agriculture and/or agribusiness preferred).
- Demonstrated experience managing relationships with stakeholder/participating institutions.
- Experience implementing donor-funded programs (USAID or other USG experience preferred).
- Experience cooperating and collaborating closely with American consultants and volunteers strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in cross-cultural exchange, interest in engaging with people from diverse backgrounds and ability to make them feel welcome and at ease.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- Willingness to travel and work in the field as needed; may require frequent travel within Uganda – for 2 weeks or longer at a time
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.