World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with these beneficiaries. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for a qualified and passionate individual willing to share in our vision and join the team in the following role.
Position: Child Protection & Participation Technical Programme Lead
Report to: Programme Quality Director
Start Date: 4th May 2023
End Date: 15th May 2023
Purpose of the position:
To provide overall strategic and technical leadership for a portfolio of Child Protection & Participation specific programmes across Uganda in both development and relief contexts. You will also be responsible for the oversight of the Child & Adult Safeguarding Policy and practice across WV Uganda’s Programmes. As a Technical Programme Lead in WVU, you will be a thought leader both internally and externally across the development industry through your technical expertise, facilitation of learning and innovation, driving continuous improvement in sector programme design, implementation, monitoring and evidence building. As thought leader you will build strategic partnerships to influence external policies of donors and government leading to policy changes and the generation of financial resources for priority programmes and sector initiatives. You will be responsible for providing technical leadership for the implementation of all sector programme priorities and models across multiple programme interventions. Ensuring that sector programme implementation is managed effectively and contributing to industry-wide technical knowledge and key Child Well-Being Outcomes.
Technical Programme Leadership
1. Ensure strategic alignment of sector to overall Country Strategy, global guidelines and support offices requirements.
2. Support technical design of emergency programmes
3. Lead ongoing design processes related to all sector programmes and projects.
4. Lead in the development and approval of Technical Programme detailed implementation plans (DIPs), budgets and key priorities of WV operations (short, medium and long) – incl grants.
5. Develop a national level business plan for the sector in alignment with strategy and plans of other departments.
6. In collaboration with the MEAL Team, develop and implement the sector evidence, learning & research agenda
7. Provide leadership for the planning and forecasting of the sector portfolio and track sector performance against key criteria.
8. Drive new sector innovations through piloting and prototyping – building evidence and then scaling up
Programme Implementation Quality Assurance & Reporting
1. Support the start-up, implementation, monitoring, reporting and completion of sector specific grants.
2. Ensure that sector Technical Programme is managed and executed well as per plans within time, cost and budgets, meeting donor and community accountability.
3. Lead sector Technical Programme baseline, Indicator Tracking Table (ITT), activity monitoring, semi-annual and annual output / outcome reports and evaluation of Technical Programme.
4. In close colloboration with field staff, carry out periodic quality assuarance and learning reviews to ensure technical programme implementation fidelity in alignment with Partnership standards, policies and protocols, including all relevant sections of LEAP 3 implementation guidance.
5. Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as reflection, Operational and Finance Audits, Technical Programme evaluations, Technical Programme Reviews, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner.
Support the development of the National Office annual report
1. Provide leadership for the effective implementation of the WVU Child & Adult Safeguarding Policy and behaviour protocols, procedures, reporting and capacity building
2. Resource Development, External Engagement, Advocacy & Partnerships
3. Strategic representation with key ministries, networks, working groups and technical fora
4. Actively represent WVU in key inter-agency fora
5. Engage and build relationships / strategic partnerships with NGOs, donors and government counterparts and other key stakeholders
6. Engagement with key stakeholders for influence, learning and resource development
7. Actively lead sector contributions to grant concept and proposal development with key donors and Support Offices
8. Contribute to the development and implementation of the Grant Acquisition Business Plan through active engagement with relevant donors.
9. Ensure that the Technical Programme in the field contributes to national level advocacy strategies.
10. Work in close collaboration with Advocacy Department to prioritise and advocate for sector specific policy change with key stakeholders.
11. Act as spokesperson for WVU on sector issues, as required.
Technical Staff Leadership & Development
1. Provide strong and positive leadership to sector Technical staff ensuring competent and motivated staff are hired and retained.
2. Provide line management for NO sector staff and matrix management for Regional Technical Programme Officers (TPOs)
3. Support professional and personal development of sector technical staff through on-the-job coaching, identification of learning and training needs and opportunities.
4. Ensure provision of adequate technical support and guidance to sector staff and projects.
1. Perform any other duty as may be assigned by supervisor or designee from time to time
2. Participate and contribute in committees and task forces e.g. Senior Management Team
3. You will be responsible for the full / partial cost recovery of expenses (S&B & Operating costs) relating to Technical Specialists through sector specific grant allocation.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
1.Post-graduate degree in development studies, social work, child protection or other related field
2.Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the relevant sector with a thorough understanding of all aspects of project management cycles in a complex, international development organization. 5 years should have been at a managerial level.
3.Experience of engaging and negotiating with UN and International Government donors for the purpose of resource mobilisation
4.Experience of developing, implementing and documenting evidence-based programme approaches and project models
5.The position holder must be results oriented and team a player.
6.Track record demonstrating high integrity and reliability
7.Excellent verbal and written communication skills
8.Networking, influencing and negotiation skills
9. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
10.Training or certification in Portfolio and/or Programme Management with accredited institutions such as PMI, or IPMA.
11.Ability to engage at a strategic level
12.Good report writing skills is a prerequisite
13.Strong budgetary and financial management skills and experience
14.Good interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
15.Emotional and spiritual maturity and ability to lead a team of professionals.
16.Work experience or engagement with relevant Ministry/department of government at local and national level
17.Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
18.Able to work in a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
19.Experience in a range of on and off line training and learning techniques including staff mentoring and coaching
20.Ability to solve complex problems and to exercise independent judgment.
21.Computer literate in Microsoft Office 365, Sharepoint or other similar email, database / web based programmes.
22.Experience with development project management tools such as logframes, monitoring and evaluation tools and budgets.
Closing Date : 17th May, 2023