Job Title: Manager Legal Affairs
Organisation: Uganda Free Zones Authority (UFZA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Legal Affairs
Uganda Free Zones Authority (UFZA) is a Statutory Body established by the Free Zones Act, 2014, for the purpose of creating opportunities for export-oriented investment and job creation. The Authority is positioning itself to establish industrial infrastructure, attract developers and Operators and provide innovative Investor Support Services in Free Zones, Export processing Zones and Free Ports.
Job Summary: The Manager Legal Affairs will provide timely and effective support in connection will all legal services required by UFZA including specialist advice regarding the Authority’s activities and operations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of monitoring regional and continental regulatory changes and their effects on the Authority’s activities and advising accordingly;
- Advising on the application and/or legal interpretation of the provisions of the Uganda Free Zones Act;
- Assisting the Director (Legal Affairs) with the drafting of agreements and contracts on behalf of the Authority and perusing all contracts and agreements drafted externally;
- Preparing legal briefs for Management;
- Attending to queries/complaints from Free Zones enterprises and drafting letters in response to queries on external legal issues e.g. tax obligations, repatriation of profits etc.;
- To defend the Authority in any legal proceedings including courts of law and arbitrations;
- To provide legal and contractual advice to all Sections of the Authority including interpretation of legal and regulatory provisions;
- Conducting due diligence on a wide range of regulatory issues regarding proposed developments as part of investment appraisal;
- Co-ordinate with stakeholders and ensure compliance with existing legal requirements;
- Devise the best dispute resolution mechanisms between UFZA and other parties;
- Perform any other tasks/duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Honours bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognised and reputable University;
- A post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice;
- A master’s degree in Law or Management from an Internationally recognised University;
- Should be enrolled advocate of the High Court with a valid practising certificate for at least 5 years;
- Seven or more years of relevant working experience, 5 (five) of which should be at a senior level in government or a reputable Institution.
- Innovative and with a proven high level of integrity;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Excellent interpersonal and Communication skills;
- Excellent problem solving skills;
- Good negotiation skills;
- Self-motivation and capability to work under tight deadline in a competitive environment.
How to Apply:
All candidates who are suitably qualified should send their applications together with a comprehensive curriculum Vitae with daytime contact details and three (3) referees and their full contact addresses, copies of academic testimonials and certificates as well as other relevant professional credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application and all attachments should be sent as one file in PDF format properly labelled with the Applicants name.
All applications should be addressed to:
The Human Resource and Administration Manager,
Uganda Free Zones Authority,
6th Floor, Communications House
Plot 1, Colville Street,
P.O. Box 37578,
Deadline: 16th June 2023 by 5:30pm