Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our team of over 1,200 professionals are at work worldwide in over 30 offices. Together we are on a mission to rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
We are a global community that cares for one another. We believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We provide professional excellence with joy and celebration to all those we serve.
For 25 years, IJM Global has pioneered the work to protect vulnerable people from violence. As we grow to expand our impact to protect 500 million people from violence by 2030, our national Uganda programme seeks to recruit a Regional Manager, Western Uganda. As a member of the management team, the Regional Manager, Western will serve as the team leader for the Fort Portal office and coordinate Rwenzori region operations and programme activities. The Regional Manager, Western will be responsible for all of the regions program management, operations and implementation of projects, including the management of sub area and district-based operations and offices, partnerships, and safety & security in the region. S/He will ensure compliance to IJM global and national policies and Standard Operating Procedures. Their focus will be to guide the regional team in implementing strategic activities geared towards attainment of IJM Uganda’s 2030 vision, to protect women and children from violence. As part of the management team, the Regional Manager, Western will contribute to fostering a team mindset and culture in the office and inspire the team to be effective and efficient and to pursue excellence.
This position is based in Fort Portal and reports to the Head of Programmes.
Lead IJM Uganda’s western region interventions in justice system strengthening, collaborative casework, advocacy and community engagements and relationship management of strategic partnerships.
• In collaboration with the SM Justice System Interventions, lead a multi-disciplinary team to bring protection to survivors of intimate partner violence and violence against women and children through delivery of excellent psychosocial services, investigation support and legal representation and support for investigations processes.
• Manage the personnel and mission of the Fort Portal office to ensure that the team is engaged, motivated and focused to deliver strategic objectives with excellence and in a timely manner.
• Maintain a robust culture of safety and security ensuring the team’s strict adherence to all security, safety and safeguarding policies.
• Effectively represent and leverage IJM Uganda’s programs and results to key constituents and stakeholders for thought leadership and advocacy.
• Build relationships of strategic collaboration and mutual benefit with key government and non-government actors to achieve high impact interventions within the region.
• Ensure regular rhythms of update and check in with national leadership to ensure timely support and informed decision making and planning.
• Build a team culture that collaborates well across disciplines, that openly shares knowledge and learning to inform program shifts and ensure staff grow as experts in their field’s.
• Ensure robust updating and reporting for all regional program events and ensure quality and authenticity of information of IJM Uganda data management systems.
• Ensure the team compliance to all finance polices and processes.
• A degree in program management, social sciences, law, business administration, management, or a similar field.
• A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in working within the criminal justice sector and /or development programs with a particular focus on violence against women and children.
• A minimum of three (3) years leading teams to achieve excellent results in challenging environments.
• Demonstrate experience in identifying training needs, developing training materials and delivering training with sustainable impact.
• Demonstrate experience in partner management and community engagement.
• Demonstrate experience in developing activity plans and measuring their successful implementation.
• Fluency in the English language both written and spoken is mandatory. Working knowledge of local languages added advantage.
• Experience in supervision and mentorship is an added advantage.
• Excellent computer literacy with proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Possess a valid driving license
• Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Self-starter with strong initiative;
• Disciplined with priorities;
• Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
• Exceptional verbal and written communication;
• Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
• Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
• Adept at creative problem solving.
Please submit Resume/CV, Cover Letter, and Statement of Faith* in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Tuesday 13th June 2023 with the subject line APPLICATION Senior Manager, Advocacy and Community Engagement.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.
What does IJM have to offer?
Comprehensive GPA/GL and Medical benefits
Competitive compensation package
Retirement benefit options
Paid leave starting at 21 days.
12 holidays (plus early release the day prior)
Professional development opportunities
Daily, quarterly, and annual community spiritual formation
Robust staff care resources.
IJM holds strict safeguarding principles and a zero tolerance to violations of the Safeguarding Policy, Protection against Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy and Code of Conduct. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing the candidates value congruence and thorough background, police clearance and reference check processes.