Organisation: United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 23-Programme Management-OIOS-212841-J-Entebbe (A)
The Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) was established in July 1994 as an operationally independent office that assists the Secretary-General in fulfilling his internal oversight responsibilities in respect of the resources and staff of the Organization through monitoring, internal audit, inspection, evaluation and investigation. The Office has the authority to initiate, carry out and report on any action it considers necessary to fulfill its responsibilities with regard to its oversight functions.
OIOS-IED is seeking graduate students who wish to gain professional experience in an international organization to supplement their studies. The internship provides practical educational experience working in a multicultural and intergovernmental organization. Under the supervision of Team leaders of OIOS-IED, the intern will be assigned projects and tasks that are relevant to their educational background and interests and provide them with the opportunity to apply and further develop their theoretical knowledge.
OIOS-IED is offering the internship with a start date of 4 September 2023 for a minimum duration of 3 months, with the possibility of extension up to 6 months.
Job Summary: Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Chief of Peace Keeping Evaluation Section, the intern will provide support to the Team Leader on the Evaluation of the Contribution of Strategic Communications to building public trust in peacekeeping operations, in data collection, analysis, and other assigned tasks. The intern will have the opportunity to gain exposure to the areas of peacekeeping and strategic communications in fragile contexts, as well as to the work of evaluations within the United Nations Secretariat.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Depending on the competencies and interests of the intern, the assignments will include:
- Reviewing and summarizing internal documents, articles, blogs, and other publications on peace, security and strategic communications, with a focus on the key evaluation questions as described in the Inception Paper. This would include compiling a complete list of references.
- Assist in collecting, organizing, and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data obtained from the data collection phase.
- Obtaining and electronically filing documents and internal data from the peace operations in different formats (i.e., Excel, PowerBI, Management Information Systems, Microsoft Word, PDF)
- Visualizing data using MS Excel and Power BI
- Assist in other ad-hoc activities including reviews and edits of various evaluation products and tasks, as instructed.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
To qualify for an internship through the United Nations New York Headquarters Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be: enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications, preferably including Microsoft Excel and Power BI; Familiarity with data analysis softwares such as NVIVO and Stata is highly desirable.
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of its Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Successful candidates should be registered for or have completed studies in humanities, communications, political science, social science, economics, international affairs, public administration, data science or related fields. Skills in quantitative and qualitative analysis using large unstructured volumes of data are highly desirable.
- Exposure to peacekeeping, and/or peacebuilding topics is desirable. Strong drafting skills in English in writing complex information for non-technical audiences is desirable.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this internship, fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency in French is desirable.
Competencies: If accepted, interns will be expected to embody the following competencies
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve Organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Technological awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; shows willingness to learn new technology.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking the link below
Deadline: 21st July 2023