Job Title: Administration and Human Resources Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Montrose is an UK international development, social investment, and environmental consultancy company. We exist to deliver better quality, pragmatic, tailored programmes which improve lives across the developing world. We specialise primarily in the health, education, enterprise, environment, and research service areas. We are driven by a mission to deliver better because our clients and beneficiaries deserve better. Montrose works with people who share our enthusiasm for this vision and style, including bilateral and multilateral development agencies, the private sector, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and other development stakeholders. Montrose is a UK company with an Africa Regional Office in Kampala, Uganda.
Job Summary: As the Montrose Admin and HR Officer, based in our Kampala office, you are going to lead all aspects in Admin & HR across the Montrose Group. This includes ensuring high quality and timely recruitment, following international best practice in terms of HR compliance and due diligence, and managing and monitoring current consultant contracts and continuous professional development. To provide administrative, operational, and logistical oversight to the Montrose offices, programmes and business development team for the successful delivery of Montrose global programmes.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate office activities and operations to secure efficiency and compliance to company policies.
- Manage agendas/travel arrangements/appointments etc. for Montrose’s personnel.
- Manage phone calls and correspondence (e-mail, letters, packages etc.);
- Create and update records and database with personnel, financial and other data.
- Audit/processed travel expense claims.
- Draft reports and correspondence.
- Track stocks of office supplies and place orders with necessary.
- Assist colleagues whenever necessary.
- Supervise administrative staff and divide responsibilities to ensure performance.
- Assists managers and supervisors in developing policies and procedures.
- Oversees department hiring procedures.
- Handles administrative tasks for faculty searches and staff recruiting.
- Assist in IT issues and support Montrose’s members when needed and keep records of it.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Developing and Implementing HR Strategy for Montrose (20%)
- Draft HR Strategy and oversee its implementation
- Provide quarterly progress updates and annual reviews against the HR strategy
- Consistently review Montrose’s recruitment, consultant management and HR approaches, providing recommendations for improvement
- Oversee the implementation and annual reviews of the Montrose recruitment policy
- Ensure and promote complete confidentiality in all aspects of HR management
Recruitment of Staff and Consultants (30%)
- Establish attractive and effective recruitment approach for Montrose
- Liaise with Business Development and Programme Delivery teams to develop and implement recruitment drives
- Responsible for pre-screening, selecting (basic and competency based), interviewing, tracking and overall candidate management for recruitment assignments
- Perform candidate research, database mining, and networking calls
- Support client and candidate communication throughout all recruitments – including consultant negotiations
- Contribute to the effective use of the Consultant Management System (Workable), and maintain, manage, and strengthen this on a daily basis to identify ‘high potential’ candidates for existing and up-coming projects
- Lead on consultant CV packaging and formatting for a variety of client specifications
- Support the process of developing job descriptions, and contracting of consultants
- Develop a strengthened interview and recruitment process, including provision of training for interviewers as needed.
Engagement of Staff and Consultants (20%)
- Support company-wide consultant relationship management, including company updates, sharing of project opportunities, and integrating consultant feedback into improved business practices
- Report on consultant satisfaction, including numbers responding to opportunities, numbers of bid opportunities shared by consultants (or other referrals), and satisfaction ratings
- Lead on staff engagement surveys and follow up
- Track consultant performance (e.g. through client satisfaction surveys), and provide feedback to other departments as to who to work with in future and how
Human Resources Management (15%)
- Nurture a positive working environment across the group
- Bridge management and staff relations by addressing demands, grievances and other issues
- Liaise with staff to gather feedback on their comfort levels and job satisfaction (e.g. through staff satisfaction surveys), and advise SMT on need for any pastoral care and/or other support
- Lead the preparation of consultant contracts, for approval by SMT line-managers, and sign-off by the Managing Director
- Manage the secure and confidential storage of consultant contracts and supporting documents in soft copy
- Create and monitor formal induction programmes for staff and consultants, and involve each department within the plan
- Maintain accurate trackers for: consultant contracts, sub-contractor contracts, staff annual leave/TOIL/R&R days, training, staff probation and appraisals
- Maintain accuracy of HR manual(s), privacy policies and related documentation
- Oversee consultant compliance for a range of client specifications, including overseeing background due diligence checks, and appropriate legal and regulatory compliance such as GDPR
- Ensure external client/legal/company policy compliance for all core staff and consultants is adhered to, including:
- tracking of staff/consultant documents held on file
- delivering regular compliance and policy trainings
- reminding responsible line managers when follow-up training is required
Management of staff continuous professional development (15%)
- Develop a staff training approach to encourage company-relevant self-learning, through tracking and incentivisation
- Participate and advise on staff objective setting and CPD planning on a quarterly basis, together with SMT line-managers, and retain plans in staff files in a confidential manner
- Track staff quarterly performance management reviews
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should have professional Qualification in Human Resource Management, or a related field.
- At least five years of HR and Administration experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Attention to detail, organisational and prioritisation skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle a high volume of requests in an effective and timely manner.
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint).
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 20th of November 2023.
NB: Please note that there will be a rolling review of applications.