MECPU is partnering with International Rescue Committee to implement the Kulea Watoto Program. Kulea in Swahili means “nurturing children” and this program aims at improving access to quality early childhood care and development for children aged 5 and under, in refugee and host communities in the Districts of Yumbe, Kyegegwa and Kampala. MECPU will specifically be working with IRC to reach out to children and Caregivers within Kampala.
Under this program MECPU will ensure that caregivers are able to provide nurturing care within the household, in addition to having access to quality early childhood care and development services (ECCD) in their community. At the community level, MECPU will make critical improvements to ECCD services, while creating an enabling environment across local decision makers and leaders. Under this program MECPU seeks to promote long-lasting change by training Teachers in the ECD centres, supporting parents with parenting skills and training policy makers in the Divisions of Kampala Central, Rubaga and Makindye on the Science of ECD. To achieve that MECPU will require services of a Gender Officer to provide support to the Program teams in implementing gender initiatives.
• Coordinating, implementing, monitoring, and reporting Gender equality and women empowerment activities under the program.
• Build the capacity of MECPU team on gender integration and analysis in line with AKF Global Gender Equality policy and strategy so that gender related issues are incorporated or considered in all aspects of the program e.g., from M&E, budgeting, planning, scheduling, and implementation of activities, to reporting and documentation.
• Organize and facilitate community dialogues to enhance gender responsive approaches and male engagement.
• Support with implementation and follow-up on advocacy strategies of the MECPU programme.
• Organize and facilitate different capacity building training and workshops for key stakeholders on women‘s right and girls’ empowerment and create awareness about gender equality and rights among the community
• Maintain regular communication and interaction with government office partners to facilitate and promote learning and information sharing,
• Participate in regular MECPU or Gender Focal Points monthly/quarterly meetings, meetings, and training.
• Document best practices, lessons learnt and success stories in gender mainstreaming and gender integration to facilitate improvements in decision-making throughout the project cycle and inform advocacy.
• Establish links and good relationships with relevant government offices/authorities and likeminded NGOs in the area of ECD and Gender mainstreaming through participation in coordination and network meetings and activities.
• Mentor and coach caregivers including male in the project site, conduct monitoring progress and report project results regularly.
• Support in the preparations for advocacy activities and writing reports.
• Assist the Programme Director to create, enhance, and leverage a network of relevant contacts that foster national policy and advocacy partnerships in collaboration with country, district, and regional stakeholders, serving as focal point for any policy partner relationships.
• Represent Madrasa at district policy-related, meetings, committees, and fora with key policymakers.
• Perform other additional duties as assigned by the Programme Director
• A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Gender studies, sociology, social work, Development studies, and other related social science fields.
• At least 3 years direct experience in gender, advocacy, and women empowerment area.
• Knowledge & exposure to a range of gender mainstreaming & gender development issues.
• Ability to evaluate and integrate gender equality strategic objectives into broader program strategies.
• Project management skills, technical capacity on training, Advocacy, networking & partnership, communications skills, interpersonal skills, facilitator skills,
• Experience of working on gender issues in likeminded Organizations and development areas
• Fluency in written and spoken in English.
• Computer proficiency in MS word, excel, and power point, email…etc.
Candidates interested in this unique career opportunity with MECPU should submit a two-page cover letter and maximum three-page CV including the names and contact information of three professional referees by 8th December 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This is a national position.
The Madrasa Early Childhood Program is an affiliate of AKF which Is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.
Closing Date : 20th December, 2023