Job Title: Data Science Fellow
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
UpEnergy is at a time of exciting growth, and rapidly expanding into new geographies and new product categories. As part of this growth, we are looking to build and execute commercial best practice across all our markets ranging from the much developed markets to our very nascent markets.
Job Summary: UpEnergy seeks a Data Science Fellow to enhance our ability to design and execute rigorous tests, pilots and Randomized Controlled Trials. In order for UpEnergy to deliver on its potential, it is imperative that we are constantly learning how to increase adoption and usage of our products. As Data Science Fellow, you will have the exciting opportunity to design and execute tests and trials that improve our understanding of the efficacy of various interventions we could implement to further encourage usage of our products in households across Africa. The ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding of how to design tests that are robust, statistically significant and manage data through Salesforce and its ecosystem. You will also be motivated to work on one of the world’s most pressing challenges – alleviating energy poverty and ensuring that a climate transition helps those most affected by climate change.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designing and developing randomized controlled trials (RCTs) to test hypotheses and evaluate interventions or treatments.
- Collaborating with the team to identify suitable research questions and objectives for implementing RCTs.
- Conducting literature reviews and staying up to date with relevant research advancements in the clean cooking, safe water, and other relevant focal areas.
- Designing and implementing appropriate sampling and randomization strategies for RCTs.
- Identifying and mitigating potential biases and confounding factors in RCT designs.
- Developing and implementing statistical analyses for evaluation and inference in RCTs.
- Collecting, cleaning, and processing datasets for RCTs using appropriate software tools.
- Collaborating with the field team to implement RCT protocols and procedures.
- Conducting data audits and quality assurance checks on collected data.
- Analyzing and interpreting RCT data to draw actionable insights and recommendations.
- Communicating research findings and results to various stakeholders, both technical and non-technical.
- Documenting RCT methodologies, procedures, and findings for internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Degree in Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science or similar
- Previous experience and knowledge of developing rigorous RCTs
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
- Ability to work with field staff in Sub-Saharan Africa to implement trials
- Strong desire to work on climate solutions in Africa
- Already living in Africa or willingness to relocate
- Fluent English
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below.