UN Jobs – Protocol Assistant- UN Resident Coordinator Office (UNRCO)
Job Title: Protocol Assistant
Organisation: The UN Resident Coordinator Office (UNRCO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head, Team Leader of the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (UNRCO)
The United Nations Resident Coordinators office works closely with the Government of Uganda and other development partners to assist Nepal in achieving national and international goals, with particular emphasis placed on the Sustainable Development Goals. We work hard to ensure the alignment of and harmonization between our work and that of the Government of Uganda.
Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Finance and Administration Analyst and overall supervision of the Head, Team Leader UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (UNRCO), the Protocol Officer shall facilitate immigration processes for all UNRCO staff on official mission, by ensuring that the required documentation in form of visas, work/resident permits, Identity cards, cargo clearances, road licenses and vehicle registration is processed in a timely manner.
He/She will backstop for the Finance and Administrative Analyst, process tax exemptions for all imports of non-food items through MOFA and apply for VAT/Duty refunds from URA. He/She will receive and facilitate departure of UNRCO VIPs through the VIP lounge and adhere to UNRCO and GoU rules and regulations pertaining to travel and protocol.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide protocol services to visiting UN dignitaries, UNCT, RCO and develop the foundation for diplomatic relations with Government offices, Diplomatic Community/Donors and relevant partners.
- Process and renew resident permits (work permits & dependent passes) for UNRCO international staff and their dependents;
- Process Visas for staff on duty travel through foreign embassies in Uganda;
- Promptly process motor vehicle registration and deregistration documents through Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development and Uganda Revenue Authority;
- Facilitate the transfer of ownership process of motor vehicles belonging to UNRCO and international staff members using the URA E-system ;
- Support clearing agencies assigned to facilitate transfer/registration and deregistration of the motor vehicles;
- Collect tax exemption clearance forms for the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office;
- Draft routine correspondences with government ministries through Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Provide administrative support to RCO including procurements, organization of meetings and make requests through the portal;
- Ensure compliance with applicable policies and procedures for UN Diplomatic Pouch and other mail services;
- Processing of incoming and outgoing mail, diplomatic pouch, and courier deliveries;
- Prepare documents/parcels for express shipment; coordinate and schedule dispatch with external courier companies;
- Initiate service requests for supervisor’s review and submission for approval;
- Backstop the Finance and Administrative Analyst on administrative and financial functions;
- Perform any other duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The UN Resident Coordinator Office (UNRCO) Protocol Assistant should have completed secondary education. Specialized training in procurement, administration and travel desirable.
- Five years of relevant experience in relevant administrative experience in the areas of administration, procurement, or travel service.
- Previous experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management system
- Proven experience in Networking and building relationship with Government counterparts.
- Language: Fluency in English
- Building Partnerships
- Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
- Business Acumen
- Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity
- Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self-management
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the UN Resident Coordinator Office (UNRCO) should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 23rd April 2021