Job Title: Finance Officer
Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Finance Officer: The IBPSL Manager
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing the achievement of RSCE key performance indicators (KPIs) and all Service Level Agreement (SLAs) components for RSCE projects/programmes/operations related to the respective Service Line.
- Provides advice, financial interpretations, adaptations and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the UN Financial Regulations and Rules, Staff Rules, Administrative Instructions, Bulletins and Circulars under the guidance of the Service Line Manager.
- Management of delivery of services such as the processing of non-travel related commercial vendors’ invoices and payments to vendors providing goods or services to all RSCE Client Missions (processing invoices resulting from commitments such as Purchase Orders, Fund Commitments, Direct Expenditures, Medical clinic invoices and Replenishment of imprest / petty cash.
- Treasury role for all payments originating from RSCE client Mission, and all payments assigned to the RSCE house banks; liaises daily with the UN Treasury at HQ for the oversight on payments of vendors and personnel released by the RSCE.
- Development of the Service Line’s annual budget development programme, particularly with respect to the establishment of major resourcing priorities, prepare cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of the Service Line’s resourcing requirements such non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; review, analyze and revise data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals as well as Result Based Budgeting inputs.
- Participates in the preparation, review and finalization of budget performance reports in compliance with the Legislative requirements and recommendations and Controller’s instructions; reviews and ensures valid variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Participates in developing inputs to the UN’s legislative processes for consideration of the Centre’s financing requirements by FBFD, Controller’s Office, the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ) and the Fifth Committee of the General Assembly.
- Oversees the preparation of staff members’ entitlements including claims, danger pay, daily subsistence allowance, mission subsistence allowance for Civilian staff in conformity and adherence to applicable United Nations policies e.g., staff rules, financial regulations and rules, ST/AI issuances or practices, IPSAS policy framework etc.
- Supervises the disbursement processes of the RSCE or the Client Missions as appropriate; monitors the house bank account balances and transaction summaries; follows up on delayed and/or returned/rejected payments and unidentifiable deposits with banks; manages cash flow requirements.
- Acts as Approving Officer under Financial Rule 105.4 in adherence with the UN Regulations and Rules.
- Reviews and verifies completeness of documentation supporting invoices and payment requests.
- Approve and create profiles in payroll systems.
- Supports the Service Line Manager in the implementation of the performance appraisal system and monitors its compliance with the proper implementation of the performance management system, providing guidance and substantive support, including recommendations on training needs to staff on standards for the development of service, unit and individual work plans. Provides guidance and training (including preparation of training materials) to junior staff with respect to transaction processing and the use of UMOJA.
- Assists staff members regarding queries on payment and deposit-related issues Monitors/reviews methods used to remit payments and supervises investigation of non-receipt of payments. Investigates complaints of non-receipt of payments and responds to staff when required.
- Reviews incoming payment instructions with regard to banking details and sources of funds. Verifies receipts and deposit slips for all incoming funds from staff members reimbursements. Maintains internal control procedures to ensure payroll process adjustments (telephone, transport, gym charges) and release of payroll and non-related payroll payments vouchers are processed and posted correctly.
- Keeps up to date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Technical or vocational certificate in accounting, finance, budget or related fields is desirable.
- At least ten (10) years of experience in accounting, financial management, administrative services or related area is required.
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience with IPSAS/IFRS or similar international accounting standards is required.
- Experience in application of UN Financial Rules and Regulations in an operational environment, including administration of a broad range of Allowances and Payments using financial Enterprise Resourcing Platform (ERP) systems or Umoja is required.
- Hands-on experience in using Business Intelligence Reporting tools is desirable.
- Experience in a shared services environment is desirable.
- Experience in analyzing data and preparing management reports is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and standards. Ability to apply conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills in accounting operations. Ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, formulate options and make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Deadline: 14th September 2021
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com