Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading National Humanitarian Organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (IFRC). Uganda Red Cross implements lifesaving services across the country and would wish to invite applicants that meet job requirements for vacant positions in our organisation.
Applications from suitable persons to be considered for appointment in the outlined positions are hereby invited. All applicants should adhere to the Red Cross Principles. URCS is an equal opportunities employer and mindful of gender balance in its establishment.
Please send your filled application form and attach your academic transcripts and certificates. The filled application forms, academic transcripts and certificates should be e-mailed to; firstname.lastname@example.org or hand delivered, and or by post to:
The Secretary General,
Uganda Red Cross Society,
Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road,
P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Closing date for receipt of the applications is 15thAugust 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Due to large volumes of applications; only short listed candidates shall be contacted. Canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification.
Please specify your preferred location
N.B: URCS Service volunteers are encouraged to apply
|Title||Laboratory Officer (1 position)|
|Location||Imvepi Refugee Settlement, Terego District Local Government
|Duration||Nine (9) Months with possibility of renewal|
The Uganda Red Cross Society with her partners has successfully set up a state of art innovative Faecal Sludge Treatment Unit in Imvepi Refugee Settlement to support the region in Solid Waste Management. The National Society is now aiming to pilot an innovation that will produce a mobile Faecal Sludge Treatment Unit that could potentially be deployed all over the country wherever there is a need. This position contributes to this overall objective.
The Laboratory Officer shall oversee, plan and manage the operations of the Feacal sludge Laboratory at Imvepi waste management center. With support from technical support teams, s/he will manage, lead, and gradually strengthen the capacity of other team members at the Waste Management Centre (WMC), consisting of other staff, volunteers and community members, to enable the team to manage the waste management center operations self-sufficiently.
The Laboratory Officer shall be responsible for running and supervising the laboratory tasks at all stages of the operation cycle. He/she is also responsible for ensuring safety of all the laboratory staff /volunteers and equipment therein. The officer shall ensure the overall quality of the results and effectiveness of the teams deployed at the laboratory in Imvepi Settlement. Ensure that the team completes the daily activities while adhering to internal operational and safety standards.
Further objectives for the Laboratory Officer concern the capacity strengthening, targeted guidance, mentoring of the field based team; humanitarian needs identification through monitoring of the evolving situation; context analysis to contribute to the development of future programs; and internal coordination with the project team to strengthen WASH interventions and relevancy within the National Society.
Roles and responsibilities.
- Manage and guiding the operations of the Fecal Sludge Quality Laboratory (FSQL) at the Waste Management Center (WMC).
- Establish operational and sampling procedures for the FSQL.
- Manage and guiding the field Team of staff and volunteers in fecal sludge operations (sampling processes and management of samples)
- Manage the Fecal Sludge Field Laboratory equipment and consumables
- Leading the biochemical monitoring and steering process
- Train and orientate the field team in fecal sludge operations and laboratory operations
- Ensure a regular flow of information and communication with the Project manager and partner technical experts and other institutions
- Provide technical guidance and support on-site regarding operation and maintenance, upgrade, upscale and safety topics.
- Technical management and supervision of works on site.
- Ensuring timely delivery of tasks and appropriate reporting
- Attend and represent Uganda Red Cross Society in relevant WASH coordination meetings in West Nile if required
- Liaises and coordinate with authorities, OPM, UNHCR, IOM, UNICEF, WASH partners, district authorities and other relevant stakeholders in consultation with respective Branch Managers /Project staff on waste management related topics
- Liaise with the Uganda Red Cross Society WASH Partners particularly the direct Partner-Austrian Red Cross and as well as field staff under projects supported by
- German Red Cross, IFRC, and Netherlands Red Cross to assure technical knowledge management in waste management and recycling topic.
- Provide technical support, training and capacity building to field staff and volunteers.
- Technically support and implement investments aimed at improving the performance of the laboratory
- Ensure that all data and information is updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learnt and best practice are capitalized.
- Coordinate with other technical staff in FSM, WASH, Health, Organizational Development, Public Relations, Audit and Finance department to ensure a common approach, synergy and sharing of information.
- Participate in the development of new proposals to scale up successful WASH innovations in line with the Disaster Risk Management Strategy.
Forecast and submit operational requirements (tools, equipment and consumables) for the smooth operations of Field Laboratory and entire Waste Management Center (Feacal Sludge Treatment Plant)
Minimum qualifications, working experience and competencies:
|Essential Knowledge & Skills||
Download application template from here