Job Title: Senior Legal Associate
Organisation: Zoe Recruitment
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Zoe Recruitment is an HR consultancy company that exists to contribute to the transformation of productivity and work ethic, by linking talent to business/organizations and placing people right. At Zoe we believe this then forms the foundation for sustainable business and on larger scale, economic growth.
Job Summary: Our client in the Legal Service Sector is seeking to hire the right person to join their team as a Senior Legal Associate in the Finance Power and Infrastructure Department based full time in Kampala.
The Senior Legal Associate will report to the Departmental Partner and the purpose of the role is to oversee the smooth operations of the Finance, Power and Infrastructure Department.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and manage the deliverables of the Associates, Legal Assistants and Clerks on all matters allocated to them.
- Develop workplans and set targets for the associates and assign duties to them in consultation with the Departmental Partner.
- Welcome and prepare for the induction of the new members of the department and any other new members of the Ligomarc Team.
- Review security documentation before sign off by the Departmental Partner.
- Review and recommend all work plans and targets to the Departmental Partner.
- Periodically evaluate and appraise the performance of the Associates.
- Identify skills and knowledge gaps and propose remedies to build capacity of department staff.
- Approve (or decline) requests made by department staff for facilitation, support and benefits to a limit defined by the Department Policy.
- Receive and address all queries, suggestions and disciplinary issues that may arise and where necessary forward them to the Head of Department.
- Participate in the budget and strategy formulation and management for the department and spearhead the implementation of all its activities.
- Call and chair all the meetings of the department.
- Receive and follow up on instructions circulated by the departmental Partner.
- Check with the team for instructions that have come in and pending work due, check for new instructions from clients, conduct client visits for customer satisfaction surveys and solicit for repeat business.
- Respond to requests for information or support from team members, Partner or clients.
- Coordinate the conduct of conflict-of-interest checks in respect to Clients’ instructions.
- Verify that correspondences have been sent and have gone out.
- Draft contracts, securities and other documentation related to a client transaction and conduct due diligence for the purpose of protecting a client on a transaction.
- Attend regular review meetings with Clients regarding matters handled on their behalf and ensure that regular reports in respect of Clients’ work are sent to Clients.
- Prepare Legal Opinions for sign off by the Departmental Partner.
- With reference to the work plan, follow up on set timelines and deliverables.
- Provide support to the clerks and associates where needed and review any documents from the associates that need approval and/or input before sign off by the Head of Department.
- Meet with registrar to follow up on pending documents and review the trackers and the movement of books.
- Prepare for client Board and Committee meetings where the Firm is Company Secretary.
- Provide the Department Partner with weekly reports on the status of clients’ work handled in the department.
- Oversee the registration of clients’ documents with Government registries and other departments.
- Correspond and liaise with third parties and contractual counterparties in regard to a matter on behalf of a client.
- Participate in rainmaking and marketing activities in consultation with the Departmental Partner.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Laws Degree
- Post graduate Diploma in Legal Practice.
- Post graduate Certificate in Loan Documentation. (Is an added advantage)
- A Master’s Degree in Accounts, Finance or in a field relevant to the business focus of the Department. (Is an added advantage)
- Enrolled advocate of the High Court with a valid practicing certificate.
- Five to seven years of relevant experience.
Key skills and traits
- Ability to Plan and Organize.
- Leadership and Mentoring skills.
- Strong Analytical and Research skills.
- Good Listening and Negotiation skills.
- Excellent drafting and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with people at all levels.
- High degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws, rules, regulations, precedents and texts relative to the work.
- Keep abreast with developments in the legal practice.
- Proficiency with MS Office packages.
Career growth path
How to Apply:
f you think you fit this profile and would like to apply you can do so by emailing your up-to-date CV and Covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Tuesday 9th August 2022 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com