Job Title: Project Officer – Protection (5 Fresher Jobs)
Organisation: LWF World Service (LWF)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world. Lutheran World Federation (LWF) Uganda is part of the LWF World Service and we are currently supporting Congolese and South-Sudanese refugees living in settlements in the districts of Kamwenge, Adjumani, Moyo, Kyangwali and Lamwo respectively.
Job Summary: Under the guidance of the Project Manager, the Protection Officer is responsible for the overall supervision management of LWF protection activities in the assigned Sub-Program. The PO will work closely with other unit staff to improve the proper operations and management of the social, protection, and development programs in the settlements and host communities
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the provision of high-quality, professional, and practical justice, gender-based violence, and child protection technical support to persons of concern.
- Ensure that protection information is used effectively to advocate important issues within crisis response and longer-term planning for target populations.
- Ensure that the age, gender, and diversity approach to protection is consistently applied through community-based protection methods.
- Coordinate community training and awareness creation on human rights to promote the protection of persons of concern in the refugee settlement, and host communities.
- Support the compilation and analysis of protection monitoring information for sharing with partners and donors
- Collaborate with other sectors and implementing partners to ensure smooth implementation of protection activities and coordination of efforts.
- Liaises with the PRM project team in the 4 other subprograms for harmonized approach and aligned implementation schedule
- Build working relationships with local authorities, stakeholders, partners, children, and the refugee community.
- Represent the LWF in relevant protection coordination meetings, and workshops both at local and national levels
- Adhere to LWF reporting policies on prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse, code of conduct, and child protection policy.
- Preparing and submitting reports (End of activity, Weekly, Monthly, and quarterly PPR) timely, with good quality, and with excellent data management.
- Any other assignments as requested by the project manager and grants manager for donor compliance.
- Ensure that all activities have an approved work plan, and the procurement plan for all project activities is developed and submitted in time.
- Preparing periodic budgets in conjunction with the project manager, grants manager and project team, and Project Accountant for the sector(s) assigned and other related activities in liaison with other section heads, to ensure appropriate utilization of project resources.
- Build the capacity of project Assistants in project planning and scheduling.
- Contribute to developing strategies to integrate the assigned sector activities into the project, by the established LWF/WS program policies, guidelines, and procedures;
- Participate in the review and design of sector strategies, in liaison with the Protection coordinator, to address changing needs, and prepares and submit proposals as required for possible funding.
- Lead and manage staff ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, providing supervision, guidance, and mentoring, encouraging effective teamwork and inclusiveness, and building a team spirit through regular meetings and events and clear reporting mechanisms for each team member.
- Provide management support to direct reports in their management of others and their implementation of role objectives, work plans, and budget management.
- Advise and assist with defining the required team composition and structure for the operational program by LWF standard structure.
- Agree on clear performance objectives for all direct reports in appraisal and ensure all team members have appropriately set objectives, and that appraisals are undertaken promptly.
- Be responsible for staff development coaching and mentoring to enhance the capacity of staff
- Assist with the provision of or coordinate the training necessary for the delivery of good quality activities
- Supervises project assistants to implement project activities.
Financial management / Budget Monitoring & Control:
- Initiate procurement of required project items/ supplies in line with LWF policies guidelines and procedures (Ensure that SRs and concept notes are raised in time)
- Work closely with the project manager develop an accurate annual budget, and budget revision for the project according to the standards of the donors.
- Keep track of all project/program budgets and ensure that project/program activities are within assigned budgets.
- In liaison with the Project manager, and the Subprogram Accountant develops budget tracking tools and monitoring
- Ensuring that the financial implications of plans are fully considered and reflected in the annual budget
- In liaison with the project manager, review financial reports track expenditures, and provide feedback to the SPA
Project Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting:
- Support in collaboration and tabulation regularly field data on project activities carried out and undertake impact assessment using participatory approaches for all beneficiaries to determine the relevance and impact of the assistance
- Conducts regular visits to all beneficiary sites where project activities are undertaken, checks on progress, and offers support as directed by the project manager in line with the project objectives
- Promote activities participation of other field staff, beneficiaries, and intermediaries in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of project activities as required.
- In collaboration with the M&E unit, lead in the development of tools and ensure effective deployment and use of the tools
- Take the lead in developing programmatic and periodic reports as required.
- Ensure that proper mapping of project beneficiaries is done & information is shared in time.
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a university Degree in Social Work, Social Sciences, Development, or another relevant field of study;
- Three years of experience in Project Management/Community Development programming;
- Proven knowledge and experience in developing and implementing community mobilization projects, and experience in community-based psychosocial support programs.
- Good problem Solving, Decision Making, interpersonal, Communication, and negotiation skills;
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines;
- Good teamwork with good communication skills;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, to remain flexible to a changing environment, and to make decisions independently.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal; Information Technology (MS Office, Internet);
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications online at the link below addressed to;
LWF Uganda Office of Human Resources,
Plot 1401, Ggabba Road, Nsambya,
P.O Box 5827, Kampala- Uganda
LWF/DWS is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation. Female candidates possessing the above requirements are encouraged to apply. LWF/DWS is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect the organization’s commitment to the prevention of abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 17th August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com