Job Title: Driver
Organisation: LWF World Service (LWF)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Logistics Officer
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world. Lutheran World Federation (LWF) Uganda is part of the LWF World Service and we are currently supporting Congolese and South-Sudanese refugees living in settlements in the districts of Kamwenge, Adjumani, Moyo, Kyangwali and Lamwo respectively.
Job Summary: Under the guidance of the logistics/fleet officer, the driver is responsible for the Operation and maintenance of LWF motor vehicles and ensuring the safety and security of authorized passengers, cargo, equipment, and tools on board.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Always drive at the responsible speed as permitted by the Laws of Uganda (respect for speed limits) while on the road and ensure program staff/materials/equipment are safe while on board.
- Maintaining the assigned motor vehicle and its accessories (log books, jacks, wheel spanners, spare tires, etc.) in good working order and clean condition and making a thorough daily check of its mechanical condition (e. g. battery, fuel, water oil, brake fluid, tire pressure, etc.) and promptly report any fault, damage or loss.
- Checking regularly and ensuring that vehicles have valid road license and motor third party insurance and assist as required in following up their processing and collection from the bank, insurance companies, and Uganda Revenue Authority offices,
- Monitors the vehicle fuel gauge constantly, and reports any need for re-fuelling. Ensure the vehicle is refueled during the evening time to maximize time for field operation from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Ensure every trip is documented in the vehicle log book, particularly departure/arrival times and mileage readings, as well as vehicle repairs/service and fuel and lubricants consumption, and reports the due service mileage in good time;
- Complies strictly with the official highway code and traffic rules and regulations while driving, as well as the relevant LWF policies and procedures;
- Conveys staff, visitors, and any other authorized personnel on official duty as well as program equipment and materials in a safe and secure manner;
- Ensures all vehicle doors and windows are securely locked after working hours, prior to handing over the keys to the logistics officer or at the nearest central police station while on an over a mission.
- Verifies repair/service done by a mechanic on return of the vehicle from a garage to confirm all the required parts are replaced;
- Promptly reports to the logistics officer and/or the police all accidents and problems encountered while on duty;
- Ensures all none staff sign for accident waiver before boarding LWF vehicle and all accident waivers MUST be approved before embarking on the journey;
- Ensure the vehicles are well equipped with first kits kit at all time
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Ensures strict adherence to the principles of child protection/psychosocial support at all times including respect for confidentiality and a child centered approach, and act in the best interests of the persons of concern.
- Commitments to and understanding of LWF aims, values and principles including rights-based approach.
- The staff must ensure that organization assets are maintained and taken care of.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of Ordinary Level Education, A Certificate in Defensive Driving, and Must hold a valid driving license with classes B, CM, DL, and DM.
- At least two to three years of professional driving experience in field operations on murram roads with the ability to work under pressure/emergency situations,
- Proven knowledge on the use of manual vehicles, have a good command of the English language and ability to communicate effectively (written/spoken), have good report writing skills, a team player
- Two or more years of work experience as a Driver, preferably in an International organization with a multicultural setting.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, driver protocol and courtesies, local roads/waterways and conditions, and security issues.
- Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g., fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices) and also knowledge of first aid basic methods.
- Available and willing to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Good knowledge of the English Language.
- Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications online at the link below addressed to;
LWF Uganda Office of Human Resources,
Plot 1401, Ggabba Road, Nsambya,
P.O Box 5827, Kampala- Uganda
LWF/DWS is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation. Female candidates possessing the above requirements are encouraged to apply. LWF/DWS is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect the organization’s commitment to the prevention of abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 19th August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com