Job Title: Natural Resources Manager (Aquatics)
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Environment Monitoring and Compliance
Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/22/2022
The National Environment Management Authority (hereinafter called “NEMA”) was established under the National Environment Act, Cap.153 in May 1995 and continued under the National Environment Act No.5 of 2019 as the principal agency for environment management in Uganda charged with regulating, supervising and coordinating all activities relating to the environment.
Job Summary: The Natural Resources Manager (Aquatics) will support environmental natural resource management function of the Authority.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with relevant Institutions and agencies, review and/or develop national strategies for sound and sustainable management of aquatic and wetlands resources;
- In collaboration with relevant institutions, review sectoral policies and plans and ensure integration of sustainable aquatic resources and wetlands management in the sectoral policies, plans and programs;
- Undertake and/or coordinate studies aimed at ensuring sound and sustainable aquatic biodiversity management;
- Review Environment and Social Impact Statements with a view of ensuring that adequate measures to protect aquatic biodiversity are incorporated in development projects;
- Provide specialist technical support in aquatic biodiversity and wetlands management as may be required by different Government sectors and institutions, NGOs/CBOs, the Private Sector, Academia and individuals;
- Receive, compile and prioritize required support for sound aquatic biodiversity and wetlands management and develop strategies and/or programs for providing the required support to the relevant sectors, institutions, and individuals;
- Provide technical support to ensure the integration of sustainable aquatic biodiversity and wetlands management considerations into the District Environment Action Plans and Development plans;
- Organize internal meetings to inform and update other staff within NEMA on strategies for sustainable Aquatic Biodiversity and wetlands management;
- Receive and review lead agencies technical reports and assess progress and requirements in sustainable aquatic biodiversity and wetlands management;
- Advise Government on international and regional programs, agreements and protocols
- Perform any other duties assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) Natural Resources Manager (Aquatics) job must hold an Honors Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following: Environmental Science, Limnology, Conservation Biology, Fisheries, Botany, Zoology.
- Master’s Degree in any of the above.
- Experience: Should have at least a minimum of 8 (eight) years’ work experience working with aquatic resources management four (4) years of which should have been at a senior level in a reputable organization.
- Supervisory Skills;
- Strategic planning skills;
- Team building skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and reporting skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should fill an online form available at the link below attaching requisite academic transcripts and certificates
Deadline: 17th August 2022 by 5:00pm
NB: Applicants who will not have heard from us by September 30, 2022 should consider their applications unsuccessful.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com