Job Title: Programme Officer – She Leads
Organisation: Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL) is an international NGO committed to stopping child exploitation. In East Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. We support child victims of exploitation with education, psychosocial support, legal assistance, shelter, job opportunities and medical care; while at the same time targeting highly vulnerable children, who are at risk of being exploited, in our prevention activities. We launch public and media campaigns to create awareness on our focus issues and carry out local research into the extent and nature of abuse and exploitation of children.
Job Summary: In Uganda, the Programme Officer will be responsible for providing substantive, organisational and administrative support in the design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of projects and / or country programmes in line with defined country objectives. S/he will strengthen good coordination with partners and ensure that the programmes of Terre des Hommes Netherlands in Uganda are developed, maintained and implemented at agreed levels of volume and quality, and meets with the National and international standards.
He/She will be responsible for implementing the operational policy and coordinating daily work to ensure that the programme of Terre des Hommes Netherlands in Uganda is developed, maintained and implemented at agreed levels of volume and quality, and meets with the defined country objectives. He/She will ensure that the project partners deliver effective and efficient services to vulnerable children, in line with Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ strategy, policies and procedures, and as per partner contracts as agreed between Terre des Hommes Netherlands and the partners.
The Programme Officer will work with the Country Team in Uganda, and receive hierarchical leadership from the Country Manager (CM) to whom he/she will report to. He/She will, in close collaboration and consultation with the country and regional team, advise and act on the development, implementation and monitoring of the various projects under the child protection programme in Uganda. This will be done in close collaboration with, and support to, the project partners in Uganda.
He/She will act as the point person for the coordination, communication, monitoring, reporting and liaison with the partners implementing the She Leads programme in Uganda. He/She will undertake implementation of project activities assigned to Terre des Hommes Netherlands as well as support partners in implementation of the joint activities as outlined in individual proposals, results frameworks and work plans. This includes joint advocacy activities for She leads and reflection, documentation of lessons, best practices, innovations, challenges and recommendations for projects for adaptive management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Support in effective implementation of projects.
- Liaise with the partners to ensure timely, efficient and effective implementation of projects.
- Monitor and support partners to ensure that programme and finance commitments are fulfilled through quarterly performance management and support supervision.
- Oversee partner capacity development for effective delivery of programs.
- Provide overall monthly project management including effective planning, implementation and monitoring of project outcomes.
- Conduct monthly and quarterly reviews on the progress of the project in terms of time, budget and quality and address any conflicts/bottlenecks/delays.
- Work in close collaboration and consultation with partners in planning, implementation, and reporting of project activities.
- Lead project review meetings and documentation of lessons learnt, challenges and new thinking in implementation of projects.
- Maintain contacts with relevant government agencies, private sector and other key stakeholders for the two projects and act as link between the actors and the projects.
- Ensure efficient use of resources and that programme and finance commitments as per the partner contracts are being fulfilled.
- Undertake sound tracking of project progress and risk management using appropriate project cycle management tools as provided by TdH NL.
- Monitor the context of online protection and technological advancements as well as the child protection discourse in Uganda (specific focus on project sites) and provide feedback to the project implementation team and advice to the country manager and others as appropriate for decision making.
- Support the partners in development of subsequent years proposals and project documents.
Programme results for the partner and programme portfolio
- Support and monitor the partners through regular communications and programme visits and ensure that programme and finance commitments as per partner contract are being fulfilled. Work closely with the Finance and Administration Officer regarding monitoring of budgets and expenditure.
- Oversee development, review and submission of high-quality and relevant narrative reports including case stories in PRIMAS and external reports.
- Ensure that all scheduled partner and project reports such as progress and financial reports are delivered timely and that they are of good quality, according to Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ standards, analyse the received information and compile the necessary reports to the country manager.
- Support partners to conduct outcome harvesting for effective reporting of change as a result of project interventions. Routinely support partners to adopt result based reporting.
- Work in liaison with M&E and Marketing & Communication (MACO) teams, coordinate sound documentation of project successes/impact and use that for strategic communication/ dissemination.
- Inform relevant persons/organisations/institutions on support given to project partners, project activities and expected results.
- Maintain the database and regularly update project documentation/ files for reference by all concerned.
Capacity building of partners
- Apply Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ tools in organisational assessment, M&E and capacity building.
- Identify together with project partners on areas for further improvement on management and/ or programme quality of project partner and define frameworks, procedures and indicators oriented towards improved organisational capacity and systems.
- Oversee partner capacity assessment and implementation of and capacity development plans thereof.
- Guide partners, give direction so that they improve on quality of work, efficiency, effectiveness of the desired outputs and sustainability of results.
- Safeguard projects quality by maintaining an overview of supported projects and evaluating the quality of work and results. Ensure that project partners follow the terms and conditions of the signed partner contract; facilitate them to keep track of key factors in project management, implementation and monitoring of results.
- Ensure that all the projects and reports are accurately uploaded, updated and tasks actioned in PRIMAS in a timely manner.
- Maintain internal and external work contacts.
- Maintain contacts with relevant parties regarding their own area of interest.
- When delegated, participate in relevant meetings and networks.
- Identify possibilities for improvement of working methods and procedures.
- Continue making improvements in working methods and procedures.
- Has an active contribution to the continuous process of quality improvement for the provision of services on the specified policy area.
- As part of a team, translate developments and situation specific information into thematic and country annual and strategic policies.
- Assist in the continuous assessment of child protection needs and gaps in the country in order to ensure that these are appropriately reflected in project strategies and interventions.
- Identify new trends and developments in the area of child exploitation.
- Generate an individual implementation work-plan in line with agreed-on objectives.
- As and when relevant, coordinate activities of assigned consultants for specific tasks, such as research, etc.
- Perform any other duties as relevant for the country programme and as can reasonably be expected from the position, in consultation with the country team.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree from a recognized university preferably in development related fields
- At least three years of experience working in the development sector.
- Proven experience of working with local partners, engagement with government and private sector
- Experience of writing, reviewing and analysing programs and reports
- Experience with Child Rights based programming is an advantage
- Proven experience in capacity building of civil society organisations
- Experience in Lobby & Advocacy
- Familiarity with feminist principles and, girls and young women issues
- Knowledge of and experience in project cycle management, including the use of logical framework, theory of change and other planning tools
- Understanding of project financial management
- Knowledge of the political, religious and social structures of the project sites
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to send a motivation letter and curriculum vitae (indicating your expected remuneration) by e-mail to: email@example.com clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications for this position. The application email subject should be: Programme Officer – She Leads, Uganda. For more information about this position, you can contact us through the same email address.
Deadline: 25th August 2022 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com