Location: Head Office- Kampala
Department: Senior Leadership Team
Reports to: Country Director
- Contribute to the attainment of the Foundation’s strategic operations and objectives through effective leadership and management of the HR function.
- Oversee the Foundation’s governance & legal matters, general administration & procurement and estate Management.
KEY JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizational & HR Strategy and Policy Management
- Support the development and implementation of the country strategic plan and the achievement of the organizational goals
- Lead the design and implementation of a coherent organizational structure that fits and serves the organization’s practices and program ambitions.
- Design and review HR policies, procedures and processes to ensure compliance to Employment Laws and HR best practices.
- Ensure that adequate advice and support is provided to managers and staff on interpretation and application of organizational policies and procedures and on other HR related matters.
- Ensure staff compliance for organizational policies, procedures and standards
- Manage staff compensation & benefits
- Lead on the development of an organizational culture that reflects our core values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation
- Manage the HR & Ops teams to achieve set work targets
Estate/ Facility Management
- Oversee the overall maintenance of all Child’s i office premises, facilities assets and equipment (physical work environment) and ensure that these are secure and efficiently utilized.
- Manage all contracts and leases and advise the SLT on lease renewals and new contracts.
- Ensure facilities are compliant with Health and Safety regulations.
- Ensure adequate insurance cover and keep up to date with suitability and types of cover available
- Oversee the annual preparation of the renewal of licenses and permits.
- Provide logistical support to guests, visitors including partner organisations involved in Child’s i activities
Governance & Legal
- Ensure full compliance with Uganda laws and regulations with regards to HR matters; ensure that Child’s i policies are coherent with Ugandan laws;
- Ensure adequate legal oversight, provide analysis of legal risks and legality assurance to the management
- Support the visa processing (work permits) for expatriate staff and liaison with relevant Government entities;
- Support on government relationships that evolve from Child’s i’s legal registration in the country.
- Ensure all governance is adequate and tracked. Work with the SLT to flag any risks.
- Maintain the organization’s risk register, ensuring mitigating controls are managed and tracked.
- Overall responsibility for the development and adherence to the Procurement policy.
- Overall management of the support function, including the outsourced security guards
- Ensure all Child’s i assets managed by the operations team is tracked and managed effectively – e.g. the vehicles. This includes maintenance and usage.
- Responsibility for Data Management across the Child’s i Uganda offices.
- Overall management of the outsourced IT resource.
Education, Knowledge & Working experience
- Masters degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related academic discipline, and/or a postgraduate specialization in Human Resources.
- Minimum of 5 years Human Resources experience, including experience in the development of strategic and operational support services plans and their implementation in a professional work environment over a sustained period of time; some year of experience in an NGO environment is preferred;
- In-depth knowledge of employee relations & develop and maintains knowledge of current employment legislation and regulations;
- Experience in capacity building and setting frameworks for staff development;
- Thorough knowledge of human resource management principles and best practices
- Competent level skills in core IT applications, particularly MS Office
- Experience with Human Resources Information Systems
- Knowledge of data analysis and reporting
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate skills in leading a multi-disciplined team through a period of change
- Leadership skills, including the ability to supervise and motivate qualified professional staff with strong personal value systems
- Analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills
- Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff
- Problem-solving and Team building skills
- Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks & organizations and ongoing community involvement
- Ability to plan and organise a substantial workload that includes complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Confident decision-making ability: ability to analyse data and information, engage stakeholders and weigh up options to make clear decisions.
- A commitment to the values, goals and principles of Child’s i Foundation
- Resourcefulness and creativity in developing the role of HR within the programme and ensuring the most effective support to line management
- Demonstrated credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of an organization;
- Diligent and firm with high ethical standards
- A business acumen partnered with attention to the human element