Job Title: Communication Officer
Organisation: Women’s International Peace Centre
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Women’s International Peace Centre, formerly Isis-WICCE, is a feminist organization founded in 1974 and based in Kampala, Uganda. Our mission is to ignite women’s leadership, amplify their voices and deepen their impact in recreating peace. Our WEAVE model intersects research (on women’s specific experiences and needs), evidence-based advocacy (to influence national, regional and international policy and practice), holistic healing (to enable women’s wellbeing and participation in peace processes), skills and movement-building (to equip WHRDs with necessary skills, build networks and facilitate the exchange of strategies to advance women’s leadership for peace.
Job Summary: We are looking to hire a Communications Officer as part of our Communications Department. The Communications Officer will play a lead role in fulfilling the communications objectives of each one of The Peace Centre’s strategic objectives namely: Enhanced technical expertise of women to participate in peace processes, Information is available for women to influence decision-making in peace processes, Deliberate attempts to claim spaces for women to participate at all levels of peace processes and Holistic Wellbeing of Women in Peace Processes.
The Communications Officer supports and drives institutional communication for the organization including digital marketing and content creation, and pursues visibility for the organization in a manner consistent with feminist values. The Communications Officer reports to the Strategic Partnerships and Advocacy Manager.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Multimedia Content Creation and Management
- Work in close liaison with technical staff, manage The Peace Centre’s website and social media channels to upload and share diverse engaging content, increase content reach, build the audience and increase audience engagement.
- Co-create and implement strategic communications campaigns that influence discourse in The Peace Centre’s areas of interest, and that increase visibility of the organization’s work and the issues important to our constituents.
- Regularly generate and publish multimedia content (human interest stories, news items, photos, video, audio, infographics etc) through The Peace Centre’s website and social media channels also targeting partners, donors, news/content distribution channels, media etc
- Document stories and curate the lived experiences of the Feminist Leadership Institute alumni and women peacebuilders using a feminist lens of storytelling.
- Conduct interviews, research and write articles for an external audience.
- Maintain an accessible bank(s) of The Peace Centre’s photographs, audio content, video clips and infographics for use when required.
- Identify new communication tools and platforms or innovative opportunities to enhance the collection, managing and publishing of The Peace Centre content.
- Build relationships with media and communication partners for increased visibility. Identify and exploit opportunities for media engagement; pitch specific stories and The Peace Centre as an expert voice; arrange and support media interviews; provide media training to colleagues, and maintain an up-to-date press kit.
- Develop complementary communications for high-level events such as press conferences, program launches, regional engagements, speaking opportunities, etc.
- Respond to media inquiries.
Publications, Design & Branding
- Work with the team to produce key publications including proofreading, editing and overseeing the dissemination of annual/periodical reports, magazines and publicity materials for The Peace Centre’s activities.
- Whenever necessary, ensure conformity with The Peace Centre brand in the format and content of public materials including presentations and speeches.
- Create innovative ways of sharing The Peace Centre’s research and feminist analysis in print, broadcast, and digital media; and cultivate relationships with key media outlets including newspapers and bloggers to increase The Peace Centre’s reach and amplify the work of feminist peace activists.
- Work closely with programmes to amplify and sustain voices of African women, girls and gender expansive persons and their demand for gender justice.
- Ensure The Peace Centre’s resources are readily available to The Peace Centre’s digital audience, particularly through the website and track audience analytics including downloads and reach.
- Work in close collaboration with other teams, popularize knowledge products through simplification of complex concepts to drive advocacy.
- Represent The Peace Centre in a variety of forums and optimize The Peace Centre’s program impact on various platforms as may be deemed relevant by the organisation.
- Handle other communications tasks as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Social Sciences, Political Science, Gender, Law, or any other relevant discipline.
- At least three years of experience in a similar position of development work, communicating and advocating for the rights of women and girls in their diversity.
- Demonstrable experience developing and implementing successful communications and advocacy campaigns at any level.
- Evidence of thought leadership through writing blogs, papers, opinion pieces, etc, and engagement in panel discussions is strongly desired.
- Knowledge of digital communications including social media and online content creation; internet-related campaigns and advocacy
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior writing skills and public speaking.
- Ability to organize and work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively in English
- Great photography and graphic designing skills are a plus
How to Apply:
All candidates who meet the above criteria are advised to apply. To apply, submit a cover letter, CV and writing samples via email with the subject “Application for the Position of Communications Officer” to email@example.com
Deadline: 31st August 2022
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com