Position Title: Information Technology Support Supervisor
Reports To: Country Manager
Division: Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Administration, Information Technology
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Grade Level: Grade 7, Supervisor, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for the coordination and oversight of CWS Africa IT Support; this includes the responsibility of managing all procedures related to the receipt, categorization, prioritization, and resolution of end user IT related requests, including the monitoring, tracking, and coordination of helpdesk functions, field circuit rides management and supervising Information Technology support staff. The position requires flexibility, innovation, initiative, good communication and interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with different types of systems and more importantly, different types of people. This position directly supervises the IT Support Specialists and IT Support Assistants.
- Achieves and maintains a thorough knowledge and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM and USCIS policies and procedures regarding ICT systems management for CWS/RSC Africa.
- IT support coordination; which involves while not exhaustive; maintenance of the organization’s ICT resources, helpdesk management and end users IT support that is assisting individual staff with troubleshooting and resolving computer software and hardware problems.
- As head of the IT support team, they will be responsible for maintaining a high level of customer/client satisfaction and finding ways to measure and improve it.
- Supervises the IT support staff; this includes performance reviews, training, mentoring, and monitoring time and attendance.
- Coordinates and takes lead in field processing circuit ride preparation and support, audio-visual conferencing setups and remote staff support.
- Assists with computer equipment and software budgeting, purchasing and installation.
- Upholds the help desk escalation process through 1st and 2nd line IT support or as per the set escalation matrix.
- Responds to escalated help desk requests within the stipulated timelines, escalates helpdesk requests to other senior IT staff when necessary and makes follow ups to ensure helpdesk SLAs are not violated.
- Analyzing helpdesk data to identify technology needs and staff IT training needs then plans, and delivers IT training to information systems users including new hires IT orientation in coordination with the Training Department.
- Works closely with the Property department to ensure that they keep an updated IT equipment inventory with functional IT equipment to support users.
- Liases with RPC IT staff in Washington DC on START administration, circuit rides support, security compliance and providing any other remote technical assistance.
- Travels to remote locations for monitoring of IT equipment and client support needs assessment.
- Collaborates with and supports the sub office IT staff in their tasks and various projects.
- Working with the other IT units specialists on various tasks and projects and when needed, covers the responsibilities of the other IT Staff.
- Any other tasks as assigned by IT Management
- Six (6) years of paid work experience is required.
- Two (2) years of experience in IT related field is required.
- One (1) year direct supervisory experience required.
- 3 years experience in IT staff and systems support preferably in a Windows based environment, is preferred.
- Experience in managing a team and major IT projects is a plus.
- Best interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong knowledge of using and managing IT Helpdesk systems.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and willingness to constantly renew required knowledge.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problems solving skills in a Windows based environment.
- Strong knowledge in domain management and Active directory services.
- Strong knowledge in Microsoft 365 administration.
- Strong knowledge and skills in Windows server 2016 setup and administration.
- Knowledge and working experience with administration of database systems, especially MS SQL Server.
- Strong knowledge in VMWare – virtualization technology.
- Strong knowledge in data leak, loss, and encryption methods (McAfee or any other)
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft licensing requirements.
- Strong, up-to-date knowledge in systems security in a large network environment.
- Knowledge in networking (LAN, WLAN and VPN), especially with Cisco managed devices (Firewalls, Routers, and switches)
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Architecture and OSI Model.
- Knowledge in Intrusion prevention and detection systems (Cisco Firepower or any other)
- Knowledge in software development languages and software design is a plus.
- Knowledge in Linux Servers administration is a plus
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology related field, or four (4) additional years work experience in IT required in lieu of bachelor’s degree.
- Other advanced professional training in IT related field is required.
- Discuss technical information with users of diverse technical levels and discern their needs;
- Facilitate and negotiate;
- Supervise staff to ensure policies and procedures are implemented and executed in accordance with guidelines and standard operating procedures;
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail, completing tasks within set timeframes;
- Exercise good judgement and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems;
- Deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records;
- Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- be flexible with changing of daily duties as needed.
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa.
- This position is based in Kampala, Uganda.
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full Time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Any other special requirements
- Industry certifications in IT or areas of networking or systems administration ice required. ITIL certification is an added advantage.
How to apply
Log on to CWS careers site – https://cwsglobal.org/work-with-cws/