Position Title: Senior Janitor
Reports To: General Service Officer
Division: Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Grade Level: Grade 2, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for coordinating and overseeing all janitorial needs of RSC Africa.
- Oversees and provides lead supervision to all janitors.
- Monitors janitorial supplies and submits written requests for re-orders to ensure no stock outs.
- Ensures there is always sufficient staff coverage available to meet the agreed service levels.
- Performs minor maintenance repair work.
- Inspects work performed to ensure conformity to specifications and established standards.
- Manages inventory of the cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Performs routine manual work e.g. moving of furniture and equipment.
- Investigates and deals with complaints regarding office cleanliness.
- Monitors and reports need for repairs to the Office Manager.
- Two years’ experience as a Janitor in an office setting. Prior experience in a cleaning company/hospitality is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of cleaning materials and equipment.
- Thorough housekeeping knowledge is required.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Time management.
Education & Certifications:
- High School Certificate is required
- Supervise staff to ensure policies and procedures are implemented and executed in accordance with guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail, completing tasks within set timeframes.
- Exercise good judgement and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems.
- Deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public.
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records.
- Analyze and solve complex problems and make sound decisions.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail.
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa.
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates.
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa.
- This position is based in Kampala, Uganda.
- This position may require use of laptops. Competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time.
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Any other special requirements that may be developed by Leadership and/or Management teams.
How to apply
Log on to CWS careers site – https://cwsglobal.org/work-with-cws/