Job Title: Programme Assistant
Organization: United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Analyst
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA expands the possibilities for women and young people to lead healthy and productive lives. Since UNFPA started working in 1969, the number – and rate – of women dying from complications of pregnancy or childbirth has been halved. Families are smaller and healthier. Young people are more connected and empowered than ever before.
Job Summary: The Programme Assistant is part of the Arua Unit, which provides integrated programme and technical support within a systems strengthening approach fundamental to UNFPA’s overall strategy. The Programme Assistant is responsible for supporting the activities of the SRHR unit & the field office including, among other things, programme design and implementation, research, and data analysis.
The position reports directly to a designated Programme Associate and is responsible for supporting a team of programme staff.
The Programme Assistant works in close collaboration with the Administrative/Finance Associates, Programme and Project staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery of Administrative, Operational and Logistical Support to the SRH unit. .
The Programme Assistant provides programme, administrative and logistical support to the SRH unit, including data and research assistance to support the overall work of the SRH team in the country. The Programme Assistant also works in close collaboration with the Administrative and Finance Associates to ensure effective support to the SRH unit.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Supporting SRH Unit in the Arua field office
- Provides significant input into arranging activities towards the strengthening of Sexual and Reproductive Health Services in Uganda.
- Contributes to the preparation of programme and financial reports by collecting information, preparing tables, drafting selected sections of the report etc.
- Compiles relevant background materials and prepares briefs and summaries if requested.
- Maintain and update partner and project files; including project progress reports, work plans and budgets in compliance with guidelines for the SRHR Project and programme documents.
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the Arua SRH Team
- Prepare draft responses to inquiries received by the SRHR programme team for action by supervising officers.
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, regional office, and the country office as inputs to various databases and documents.
- Provides logistical support to programmes events by gathering and compiling data and information for the preparation of events documents, speeches and position papers. This includes (but is not necessarily limited to) preparing and distributing Chart of Account (COA) authorization letters; collecting and following up on nominations and registration; preparing list of participants; managing programmes related travel and visa requirements; circulating events materials.
- Assist the SRHR team in providing support and advice to the CO on operational and programme matters.
Research and Knowledge Management Sharing Support
- Perform research assistance duties including bibliographic and database searches; summarize information and draft contributions to CO reports, papers, technical notes, and publications.
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of the documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
- Draft and review reports of various events, conferences, meetings, etc. organized by the SRH unit
- Assist in the archiving, filing, and maintenance of up-to-date electronic mailing lists on SRH programme matters.
- Contribute to the uploading and maintenance of selected information to the UNFPA intranet and related platforms.
- Record and distribute minutes in a timely manner and assist the meeting coordinator by following up on agreed actions and implementation of tasks where appropriate.
Programme Operational Support
- Undertake administrative arrangements required for the organization of workshops, inter-agency meetings, panel discussions, roundtables, missions, and other events organized by the SRHR team; including organizing team meetings, preparing minutes, coordinating conference room bookings and ensuring room preparedness for meetings.
- Review incoming correspondence, collect and prepare necessary information for reply/action, and draft and finalize response.
- Support procurement activities in regard with the events for the SRHR team, ensuring compliance with UNFPA procurement procedures.
- Raise requisitions with input from designated clients (buyer profile).
- Produce monthly reports on the financial status of SRHR related programmes or projects.
- Correctly apply UNFPA rules, regulations and procedures in all activities.
- Stand-in for other Programme team members on selected functions as may be required.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Programme Assistant job should have completed Secondary Level/ Completed High School Education required
- First level university degree in SRH related field, project/programme management, public health, or relevant social science discipline desirable.
- At least five years of relevant experience in SRHR or related fields is desirable
- Experience in SRHR project/programme management in private, CBO/NGO, national and/or international organizations
- Previous experience in the UN system is an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Computer literacy – Word, Excel, Power-point, etc.;
- Good knowledge of ERP systems;
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Languages: Fluency in oral and written English. Working knowledge of another UN Official Language, an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity.
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system.
- Embracing cultural diversity.
- Embracing change.
- Achieve results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact.
Functional Skill Set:
- Projects Management and Support
- Understanding of SRHR Issues
- Managing documents, correspondence and reports
- Managing information and workflow
- Planning, organizing and multi-tasking
- Managing operational processes
Job knowledge / technical expertise
- Proficiency in current office software applications; good basic knowledge of Project Management dashboard and software.
Compensation and Benefits: This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 1st September 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com