Job Title: Project Engineer
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Head of Programmes
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate closely with the Project Water Engineer and the Program Manager on technical approach.
- Review and prepare engineering drawings, designs, BOQs as per the Rural Infrastructure Manual (technical screening).
- Continuously supervise the construction and maintenance of all projects.
- Ensure all rural infrastructure are climate change resilient; these will be based on site surveys to identify topographical land contours for planning a series of contour swales as well as ponds to passively capture surface water runoff and run on.
- Conduct technical assessments on topography, contours and landscape patterns as well as surface hydrological behavior and fluvial geomorphology and when required and monitor the quality assurance and quality control of design and implementation on all water projects.
- Coordinate project activities with the District Focal persons from the Engineering, Water, Environment and Forestry Departments in the target districts.
- Coordinate closely with district, UNWMZ and Ministry of water and Environment to ensure all designs are of highest standards.
- Ensure very high standard of technical screening of projects jointly with the district technical team and compile Investment Plans for approval by the District Technical Planning Committees (DTPC) and support capacity building for district and line Ministries
- Participate in BID committee to provide technical inputs for the selection of contractors and ensure technical specifications are accurate to fast track procurement process and ensure quality assurance
- Develop a monitoring scheme that includes performance and impact indicators for all infrastructures related activities.
- Supervise the technical aspects of the projects;
- Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Ensure the right structures for instance drifts and culverts are constructed in the identified bottlenecks and ensure value for money
- Inspect and supervise work for quality control and compile inspection report.
- Ensure project accomplishments according to specifications and targets.
- Ensure regular communication between communities at the project implementation sites and DRC
- Ensure adequate contract management with the support supply chain department (close monitoring of variation, formal communication to contractors, etc.) in line with DRC operational handbook.
- Processing payment certificates for contractors after completion of works.
- Participate in training of Project Management Committees (PMC) and Project User Committees (PUCs) together with the district technical team
- Develop investment plans (costed BOQ) together with supervising engineers.
- Support the development of the work plan developed by regional managers together with the Program Manager.
- Together with the Engineering Officers, work on project technical reports
- Work closely with Supervising engineers ensure all structures constructed have resilient design structures.
Staff development and management
- Support Shelter and Settlements project manager in developing objective setting and performance appraisal for Engineering supervisor
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points
- Participate in quarterly CF and District monitoring, project reviews and evaluations.
- Provide engineering data and information for preparation of donor reports (E.g. RDE reports, monthly Highlights, quarterly and annual reports).
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimal
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree in Civil engineering or similar engineering degree
- Demonstrated experience conducting landscape level earthworks and passive water harvesting
- Demonstrate experience in permaculture, agroecology and agroforestry systems
- Demonstrate experience in natural pond construction
- Demonstrate knowledge of water and soil chemistry and soil microbiology highly desired.
- Seven years of post-graduate relevant work experience;
- Five years of relevant work experience from a lesser developed country
- Relevant experience from 3 projects in a similar position;
- Relevant experience with agricultural related rural infrastructure and Water Resources Management;
- Experience with donor funded projects and International Non-Governmental Organizations
- Relevant experience in capacity building and training of teams.
- Relevant work experience in Northern Uganda
- Languages: Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential. Knowledge of one or more of the local languages widely spoken in the NURI covered districts, preferably Alur, Lugbara, Luo and Madi.
DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 30th August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com