Job Title: Finance Manager
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Requisition Number: FINAN002723
Reports To: Finance Director
Mercy Corps is an international non-profit organization which implements high-quality, analytical development programmes in very difficult places. Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006. It has and continues to implement programs in Acholi and Karamoja sub regions. Mercy Corps is taking a community-led, market driven approach to address poverty and food insecurity needs through interventions that get to the root causes and contributing factors of economic vulnerability.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting programs to ensure the most efficient, effective, and compliant delivery of programs
- Provides financial review for advances, purchase requests, quotation analysis, purchase orders, contracts, expense reports, payment requests, and other field transactions within his/her limit per the AAM, chart of accounts, donor regs, MC policies, country laws;
- Ensures financial reviews and payments are performed timeously by the finance team;
- Ensures finance inductions to all new staff are performed timeously;
- Sends BVAs to PMs, ensures forecasting tools are updated for actuals on a monthly basis and shared with PMs, and ensures quarterly forecasts are in place for all programs;
- Holds regular check-ins with PMs, ensures finance focal points perform monthly meetings, and ensures finance deadlines calendar is updated;
- Reviews programmatic SOPs and supports high-intensity program activities;
- Ensures that he/she travels to field locations regularly and ensures that Coordinators and Senior Finance Officers travel to the field regularly.
- Timely and accurate financial reporting to HQ, donors, and GoU
- Coordinates and prepares weekly and monthly cash requirements for all offices, submits and makes sure sufficient cash is available in all offices and monitors its use. Make sure also there is no excess cash.
- Ensures all cash, bank and advances are reconciled with cash counts, bank statements, and outstanding advances and ledger. Ensures all transactions are properly entered into the accounting software/field connection/Navigator, review, and ensure weekly posting is done.
- Coordination of the financial reporting processes, ensuring that all data is accurate, complete, and entered within set deadlines, including monthly closing procedures.
- Reviews journals, in line with the Approval Authority Matrix;
- Reviews monthly balance sheet reconciliations and core funds report;
- Reviews national staff payroll. Reviews and imports payroll for posting and ensures severances and pensions are updated and reconciled with the ledger and individual staff;
- Review of Terminal Benefits for staff exiting the organization;
- Treasury Management; participating in meetings on performance management, handling FX Conversions;
- Calculation of severance adjustment quarterly.
- Reviews monthly and annual financial report packages for submission to HQ;
- Ensures monthly NSSF, income tax, withholding tax, VAT and other taxes are withheld, paid on time and reported accordingly;
- Filing of returns with URA and NSSF as per applicable country laws;
- Preparation of Mercy Corps Uganda annual accounts and financial statements;
- Manages and facilitates internal and external audits and ensures all finance archives uptodate;
- Reviews monthly taxes for expatriate employees;
- Ensures compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations.
- Enhancing finance team structure, capacity, and efficiency
- Directly supervises Finance & Accounting Coordinators
- Supports FD with the recruitment of all members of the finance team;
- Ensures all finance teams have clear PDs, work plans, and development plans;
- Plans backstopping and exchanges of the team between locations to ensure coverage;
- Provides technical support, coaching, and training to Finance, Ops, HR, Program staff and supports FD to roll out training for the finance team (including People with Possibilities);
- Manages quarterly meetings with the finance team;
- Supports growth of finance team into STA positions;
- Building processes and tools
- Ensures finance drive is complete and finance document trackers are in use;
- Ensures commitments trackers are in use;
- Updates country master budget quarterly and supports FD with proposal budgets and various country budgets/coverage tools;
- Ensures AAM and signature specimens are updated regularly as needed.
- Enhancing working with support departments
- Works with operations teams on key areas such as MSAs, assets, etc;
- Development of tools, guides, SOPs to support other departments to be compliant and efficient.
- Ensures compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership;
- Proactively ensures that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
- Organizational Learning
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Accounting or Finance required;
- Professional qualification in either CPA or ACCA preferred, or Masters’ degree preferred;
- Six years’ experience in grants and financial management and accounting and 2 year’s supervisory experience;
- Good understanding of USAID, FCDO, SIDA, AFD, ECHO guidelines is a must;
- Strong management Skills, Technical & Supervisory Skills and experience required;
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet;
- Adequate understanding of donor rules and regulations is required;
- International NGO/PVO experience required;
- Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports;
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience;
- Navigator accounting software experience an advantage;
- Excellent oral and written English skills;
- Willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps and subgrantee’s field offices and project sites.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 27th August 2022
For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.uganda.jobsportal-career.com