Job Title: Base Finance Officer
Organization: Action Against Hunger (ACF)
Duty Station: Moroto, Uganda
Action Against Hunger-ACF, worldwide is recognized as a leader in the fight against malnutrition, with a purpose to save the lives of undernourished children while providing communities with access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger. ACF implements innovative and life-saving programs in the sectors of Nutrition, Food Security & Livelihoods (FSL), and Water, Sanitation, & Hygiene (WASH) through capacity building projects in collaboration with government structures. Over the past 30 years of ACF has been delivering robust operations in Uganda and has gained significant knowledge and expertise using a multi-sectoral approach to design and implement program intervention based on the context, geared towards long-term solutions to hunger both in refugee and Host communities. Since 2013, the organization has been worked in the refugee settlements of Northern and Western Uganda providing emergency response as well as long-term development interventions.
Job Summary: The Base Finance Officer provides finance support to the base while ensuring respect and proper implementation of finance policies and procedures at base level. S/he is responsible for cash management and bank transactions, making payments, advances and transfers, managing advances and accountabilities among other roles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Cash & Bank Management:
- Responsible for finance at base level by ensuring the respect of ACF financial procedures related to cash management and bank transactions;
- To make payments, advances and transfers, ONLY if the Procurement Request and Supplier have previously been duly approved by the Field Manager;
- Make sure advances are cleared within 48 hours and no advances are outstanding at the end of the month;
- Record all the transactions in SAGA. The ledgers should be updated on a daily basis to be able to deal with cash control at any time and bank reconciliation;
- Responsible for making follow-ups on advances and transfers & keep all bills in the folder relative to the specific month;
- Ensure each transaction is justified by an appropriate invoice/receipt, and to ensure the quality of receipts (name, patent number, stamp, description, date, amount etc) included the procurement file;
- Comply with purchasing procedures upon remitting advances and inform the logistics department of purchasing procedures and of data required on the invoices.
- Compile the cash forecast of each department and send to Field Manager for validation;
- Ensure that there is budget for the expenses being requested;
- Ensure that only expenses included in the cash forecast are being carried out;
- Control with the Field Manager and Base Logistician that the PRs are properly filled in with correct budget codes, and are properly recorded and followed up until payment.
- Ensure the good quality of SAGA: budget lines, accounting codes, project codes, descriptions…
- To submit monthly accountancy closure to Assistant Finance Co. in Kampala at the end of the month;
- Organize a checkup session of budget lines with the Program Managers;
- Send to Assistant Finance Co. the monthly saga report: saga backup, the signed cash control, list of advances outstanding, bank reconciliation, originals of all receipts attached to the procurement file. In case some documents are missing, a short explanatory note should be joined.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration /Finance/ Accounting.
- Substantial knowledge of SAGA accounting software
- Knowledge of financial and HR procedures expected.
- Four to five years of previous experience in an NGO, preferably in a similar role.
- Demonstrated experience and/or personal commitment to promoting gender equality within the work
- Ability to train and follow up teams.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Autonomous and able to take initiative.
- Able to set own deadlines and meet them.
- Professional computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, internet, and email.
- Fluent English;
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th May 2023