Job Title: Finance Assistant (Fresher US NGO Jobs)
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Kiryandongo, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant will be a key member of the Kiryandongo team and will contribute towards the achievement of the field’s finance objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Capture accounting entries (Invoice and Payment Journals) in ERP System, ensuring correctness, accuracy, and completeness of the process.
- Prepare cash transaction vouchers (payment vouchers).
- Monitor invoices and cash payment request vouchers and updating Finance Tracker.
- Timely maintain and update online vendor invoice tracker.
- Run mobile money payment name verification and share with Finance Officer for Review.
- Prepare mobile money payment journals for program trainings and submit to Finance officer for review before effecting payment.
- Ensure field program activity payments are promptly paid according to IRC policies both using bank, cash or mobile money and be the focal person for field finance payments.
- Carry out timely reconciliation of program and travel advances and charges related to staff personal accounts (D7) and advise the supervisor on course taken to settle outstanding balances.
- Monitor cash usage and requirements and advise the Finance Officer & Finance Manager on spending rate.
- Request for the replenishment of petty cash when it reaches the minimum limit.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations to be reviewed by Finance Manager.
- Maintain a proper back up of documentation at the field office by ensuring all bank transaction vouchers are scanned monthly before sending to Head office.
- Prepare cheques and online bank transactions for approval by finance Manager and payment to the payee.
- Notify the bank of any change of signatories immediately and be focal person for bank liaison.
- Follow up cash in transit and transfers.
- Ensure IRC policies and procedures are respected in all the cash and bank transactions.
- Liaise with the Finance Manager and Senior Finance Officer in Kampala on cash transfers and submit monthly cash projections.
- Prepare a monthly Finance bank report and submit to Finance officer and Finance Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Finance Assistant job should hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance.
- One year of experience working in the finance function.
- Experience working with INGO/NGOs (preferred but not a prerequisite).
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple priorities.
- Knack for detail.
- Able to communicate effectively.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong Computer skills (MS Word, Excel, experience using an Enterprise Resources Planning is highly desirable)
- Must be able to function comfortably in a loosely structured but complex work environment, working and prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) in English with programme staff.
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
- Good supervisory skills, time management and interpersonal skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 10th May 2023